1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3870 overheating, shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 8nout, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

I'm back at the table of knowledge again.....

I bought a Diamond 3870 video card from Newegg. It ran like a blast furnace..idled at 63c. Would not run the Crysis demo at all..maybe two minutes then would shut down. I used Rivatuner to ramp the stock fan speed up to 100%, still shut down after a couple minutes. Checked many forums, seems people are installing an aftermarket cooler. I bought a Silenx (it had good reviews for this card) and installed it using Artic Silver. People using this cooler said they idled in the 30's c, I'm only down to 52c with default settings. I have good airflow thru my case, seven fans counting 2 in PSU, 1 on cpu cooler, 1 on VGA cooler, 2 80mms pushing out the back and a side 80mm blowing in.

This last time it shut down I'm sitting all in my chair all bummed out and after a few minutes my PC just starts up by itself! I'm thinking the video card wouldn't do that, could it be the power supply that's overheating? It's a 500W Rosewill.

I've got a $200 video card with a $40 cooler upgrade that won't even play BF2! Aaaaagghh!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

----------------------------------------
    ECS KA3 MVP Crossfire
    Athlon64 X2 5000+ BE w/AMD dual core optimizer update
    Diamond HD3870
    4 gig G.Skill DDR2 800
    120 gig Maxtor sata
    Rosewill 500W PS
    XP Home

2. krak_killz

krak_killz

Have you thought about water cooling?

By the way your the most "vet" member I ever seen on the forum...

3. dman4862

dman4862

could be a faulty card. with all those fans you shouldnt be having any problems with overheating.

4. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses! I think watercooling is an arena I don't want to venture into, I'm having enough trouble with dry air.

Maybe the card is at fault... I put it in my other computer with the same result, although that PC only has a 350W PS, which is way below recommendation for this card. I can't RMA the card to Newegg because I cut the UPC off the box for the rebate.

I think I will give to a friend to put in his PC (has 750W PS) to see if that helps. Will update....

5. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

I don't think PSU is the problem. I have a 500w, recommended is at least 450w, so I'm in the ball park there. Besides, when screen goes black, the PSU is still running.

6. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Well, re-seated cooler, helped some. Idle temp now 35c, plays [email protected] at 45-50c but will not play Crysis demo at all.

7. gomes

gomes

Crysis is a game that is way too hardware demanding. There isn't much hardware out today that can support this game and run it really smooth. Crysis is more future proof if anything. Afterall, I should think most people have seen the photo's with the unlocked settings that make the game look near-photorealistic, but need hardware that's not to be released for at least a couple of years that will run it at those settings. Overall, I hate that friggin' game.

8. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Good points gomes. I don't care about the game either lol, especially since I can't play it, but see others saying they play the game maxed out and ya-da, ya-da and I wonder why my card can't do that too.

Well, I would close this thread but don't know how to do that either so maybe an admin will....

Thanks to all.... being computer impaired, I'm sure I'll be back.

9. dman4862

dman4862

i pretty much think crytek made that game to showcase what their new engine is capable of.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice