1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3Com ADSL Router refuses to go online

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kevvyb, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kevvyb

kevvyb Thread Starter

I have had this router for some time now and generally it has worked well. Occasionally it has dropped connection (gone offline) but by restarting it has generally got online.

A friend had the same model and this recently died altogether and I'm wondering if it's time to get a different make.

I have checked ipconfig which is okay.
    I have restarted the router
    I have reset it
    I have 'upgraded' the firmware again (same version)
    The router is synced but will not go online.

Recently I have noticed that the router online led has gone off overnight but has usually lit immediatly the browser is opened.

Can anyone suggest anything and if not maybe another model of router that is reliable.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can get online with a computer connected directly to the modem, so you know for sure that it is a router problem?

How long is "for some time now"? From anecdotal data on threads here I have the opinion that routers that are on all the time begin to fail after 2 to 3 years. I keep looking for somebody to disagree, but so far nobody has. :)

If I were buying a router I'd probably buy Belkin, D-Link, Linksys or Netgear, but I have no idea if they are more or less reliable than 3Com. All brands seem to have their fans and their detractors; I've never seen a study comparing routers for average life time.

3. kevvyb

kevvyb Thread Starter

Hi Don't understand your first comment. The 'online' led is unlit.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you connect a computer directly to the modem and get online? If not, then maybe the problem is not the router. If so, the problem very likely is with the router.

5. kevvyb

kevvyb Thread Starter

This a an adsl router including a modem. I am curently connected by dial up.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "This a an adsl router including a modem."

Whoops! No wonder I wasn't making sense to you. :(

I can't think of anything to offer other than my middle and last paragraphs in post #2.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!