1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3COM Home Wireless Gateway/Internet Connection not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TypeSK, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

anyone know about this product? 3Com HomeConnect Home Wireless Gateway.

It's been working ever since I got it (it used to be used at my old workplace, and my friend gave it to me 6 months ago).

it has NAT, etc.

setup:
    Router with NAT, DHCP, and Firewall turned ON.
    Wireless hookups: win98SE machine
    Wired hookups: this WinXPH machine with regular RJ45 cable
    Crossover cable from cable modem to WAN port
    Cable provider: Cox Communications

about 5 hours ago, it was working..i was just working on my site.

i turn off my computer, go take a nap ... then come back, and all of a sudden, internet doesnt work. my cable modem lights are on like normal. but my router says internet is not connected ... i can still browse my home network though ....

but i release all IPs. turn off computer, router, and cable modem. for test, since my cable lights are working fine, i plug my cable modem directly to my computer, turn on computer.

it finds the IP address fine, and my internet WORKS!!!!!!

i turn everything back off, plug cable to router like it was before, turn computer back on, and it DOESNT work!!

so the problem has to be with my router. but i do everything, redo all settings, perform system checks, restore factory settings, etc etc .... still doesnt work!!

i called the cable company, and they say to go check with the router manufacturer company. he tried helping me diagnos things a little bit even though i know he wasnt supposed to since they dont support anything with routers and all.

so what could be the problem? call 3Com?

i also noticed this though, that my IP address that i normally had has changed during those 5 hours. but that shouldnt make any difference, as in the router, it is setup as DHCP for the internet connection, and i have even restored factory settings anyways .....

help?!

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there TypeSK...

What type of router do you have ?

3. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

The cable that you used to connect the pc to the modem, is it the same crossover cable used to connect the WAN port to the modem ?

If not, do you have another crossover cable to test with ?

Because the problem sounds like it could be the cable or the WAN port...

5. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

yea, ive used other crossover cables....if i bypass the WAN port, plug the cable into one of the LAN ports (to have it acts as a hub), the cable works. im trying to download firmware updates, but doesnt work (i dunno if you have to go through the Router setup page ->firmware updates AND BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET to get the stickin firmware to update or what not...if i download it to desktop, i cant do anything with it ..

im gonna try this:

one computer has 2 network cards. i can use one network card to connect to the router ...and then use the other to connect to the internet using its hub ...

hard to explain, but i think this should work...i remember doing this before with a different setup (using two network cards to browse 2 "networks", in this case, one network being the router and the other being cable) to download firmware updates ...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice