1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3Com Router Broadcast

Discussion in 'Networking' started by trapperjoe, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trapperjoe

trapperjoe Thread Starter

I am running two 3Com Super Stack II Netbuilder 227 routers, for remote facilities. I just recently hooked up a Cisco 2600 series router, for my internet connection. When I am connected on a Win9x machine I loose my connection on a regular basis. When I do an route print it shows both of the 3Com switches as gateways and the Cisco router. I think that it is confusing my settings, its trying to use on of the 3Com switches to the internet and they only go directly to remote locations. I think the 3Com routers are sending a broadcast. So my question is how do I stop this from broadcasting to my side of the network.

Thanks,

2. Rockn

Rockn

I thought switches were basically passive devices that only did internal processing and directing of network traffic. Are these managed switches....must be if they show up in a route print. If your Win9x box is the only one with a problem I would suspect that it's NIC or network settings are disconnecting it.

3. trapperjoe

Im sorry I meant routers....It is consistant with any win9x machine. The windows 2k boxes must be smarter because they don't pick up the ip for the router as the gateway.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Do a route print from the Win2k boxes and se what's different. You could also just manually set up the 2600's address to be a gateway on the Win9x boxes and it should ignore the other routers

5. trapperjoe

I have the gateway static on the 9x machines and I also have it under the router option on my dhcp server. But i get the same results even if i don't use the dhcp server. What I am really looking for is someone to help with 3Com configuration!! I have no clue if there is any way to do what I think needs to be done, and i think its related to some kind of broadcast from the router.

Thanks,

6. trapperjoe

FYI!! I found a fix for this issue!!! Turns out it has nothing to do with the 3com router broadcast. It is related to IRDP (Internet Router Discovery Protocol) which is turned on by default in windows98. Microsoft article (Q216141) gives a clear fix!!

7. Rockn

Rockn

Wonder why my Win98 PC's never broadcast like that? Was reading the article and it said it is bound to every protocol bound to your NIC....my network would be a nosiy place if that were going on....LOL

How did you ever run across that little gem??

8. trapperjoe

Got lucky I guess....I've been fight this issue for a couple weeks now!! I guess it depends on the layout of your network. The way mine is set up with the multiple routers being on the same subnet was the problem. The IRDP may be a good thing to disable even if you don't have the same issue. May reduce broadcast.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice