1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3Com router/switch help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by skyflyman1968, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyflyman1968

skyflyman1968 Thread Starter

I'm an old Cisco guy. These 3Com's are weird. hahahahahha

Anyway, I hoping to find a sample config for a 5000 series router and PWR4400 switch using VLAN's.

I don't have a spare router to experiment with, so I need to make sure my config is right before I can deploy it.

I don't even have a config built yet, so I've been working on it with paper... lol

Any assistance with trunking these two devices with at least 2 VLANS would be very appreciated!

Thanks for your time and efforts!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It's been a long time since I've touched a 3Com switch. Not sure how these devices work in comparison with the one I configured, but the key with setting up VLAN trunking on a 3Com is to focus on what VLANs are. What differentiates a VLAN identified frame versus a normal frame is in the header of the frame datagram. There is a section added to the Ethernet header which I don't remember the actual size but can be a byte in size that identifies the frame to belong to a specific VLAN. The terminology for this type of frame is a VLAN tagged. This is important when you go to configure trunk ports. VLAN trunk ports are ports which tag egress Ethernet traffic over the same port which allows one port to send traffic destined for multiple VLANs. When you declare an access port to participate in a specific VLAN, the Ethernet frames are said to be untagged. The Ethernet frame looks like a normal Ethernet frame with the exception of where the Ethernet frame originated from on the switch. When you declare a specific port to be part of a VLAN for access traffic, you would configure that port to be untagged for that VLAN.

Since you're a Cisco guy, for a VLAN trunk, you would issue a switchport mode trunk command. If you issue nothing else, that switchport will send all VLAN traffic it is aware (VLAN database) through that switchport. To limit what tagged VLAN traffic is sent out that port, you would issue a switchport trunk allowed vlan command. With an access port, you would issue a switchport access vlan command to make that port a member of a specific VLAN but not tag any egress Ethernet frames. When that port receives a frame from a connected device, it will internally set that network traffic for the VLAN that port is configured for and will only send it to a port which is part of that VLAN.

3. skyflyman1968

skyflyman1968 Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info. I don't think I'll have too much trouble, except that I have to reconfigure it all remotely via dial-up. I was hoping to find someone still using this stuff so I could swipe a copy of their config to study.

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1110816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice