1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3com wireless router help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lubomir, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lubomir

lubomir Thread Starter

hi all i was windering if you can give me some advice here,i bought a 3 com wirelss router and they gave me a USB thing instead of a network card,in the instructions its tells me to connect my home pc to the wireless router using a cable before i can set up my laptop for wireless,i didnt recieve any insdtructions for the wireless USB gadget so i dont know how to set it up,i could set it up if i had a network card in my home pc but im stuck on how to use the USB thing, any help would be most appreciated

thamnks in advance,

lubomir

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so your home PC does not have a netwrok card to connect to the router and you laptop does not have a network card -
    Its just much safer to setup routers using a cable rather than wireless

whats the make and models of PC's so we can look at specs etc

the wireless USB is quite straightforward to install

i would however also download this program
    Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

so you will need to connect to the router to set it up first and thats th ecable bit

whats the model of router - perhaps i can find a manual online to see the settigns required

we can then take it a step at a time

3. lubomir

lubomir Thread Starter

the router is a 3com office connect adsl wireless 11g firewall router 3crwdr100a-72 3crwdr100b-72 3crwdr100u-72, the home computer is 256 mb memory 40gb hard disk and a pentium 3 processor, the laptop is a pentuim 4 512mb memory and 30gb hard disk, i dont have a network card for either,do you think i would be better of with a network card for the home pc .

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is the home Pc going to be near the router - if so yes
    but how old is the laptop - you did not give make and model - they have been comming with a network card for ages now

on the laptop can you do the following
    start>
    control panel>
    system>
    hardware tab>
    device manager button>

the goto network adapters

post whats there -
    of you have anything like ethernet or 10/100 then thats all you probably need

EDIT
    found the manual i think
    http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/wireless/3CRWDR100/DUA100A-72AAA02.pdf

is this it

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice