1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3d zoom? How?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by KaIIen, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

I am not sure what this is called, but we've all seen this on TV (especially on shows like 20/20) where they take a regular picture...and as the picture is zoomed in, the subject of the photo is almost 3d, standing out from the background. How is this done? Is there a tutorial online anywhere?
    I like creating photo slideshows and being able to do this would be nice...thanks!!

2. Sushifiend

Sushifiend

Can't give you a step by step for a particular program, but basically you would start by duplicating the image, then cutting out the main subject.

So you have the original image on the bottom layer, and the cut-out subject on the top layer. If you do nothing else, no one would know that there are two layers, because they are identical except for the missing background in the top layer.

Apply the zoom-blur effect to the bottom layer. Now pretty much anything you do to the cut-out subject on the top layer will make it seem to pop out of the background. Lighten it. Enlarge it a bit. Add a subtle drop shadow. That's what I did to the still image attached. Because its visual properties are now different from the original image in the bottom layer, it'll just jump out at you, and it doesn't take much.

In video you can push in slowly on the cut-out subject, which is I think what they do on the tv programs.

Attached Files:

3. Sushifiend

Sushifiend

OK, I just re-read your post, or read it for the first time... forget the blur effect. Keep the duplicate layers and cut-out main subject, and either push in on them separately, at different speeds, or just push in on the top layer. I think that's how they do it.

4. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Ok, that makes since. Thanks for the info. If I wanted to save it as a video, what program would be good for that? Illustrator? I figured the best way to save it that way would be as an animated .gif...?
    Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice