1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3DMark CPU Test 1FPS??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jordster, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I have ran a 3DMark06 test and in the CPU Test, my Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz (stock) was reaching 0-1FPS in the test - is there a reason to this?

If you need any more info just tell me
    thanks.
    Jordan

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How does the system run?

What does the windows experience index show for cpu?

3. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

My pc runs fine. I use it for gaming on cod4 with my 8800gts and 2gb ram.
    Vista user experience index rates it 5.6 and everything else 5.9

4. Jones

Jones

What was your total CPU score? For that particular test, you're not going to see high FPS numbers, but that's really not what it's about. It's not really a 'graphics' test, if you follow me.

I have the same CPU (oc'd to 3.5) and I think I got around the same FPS during that test, but my CPU score is 3231. That's the number you want to see to compare your CPU.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not see any problem. One thing you might want to do is go to 4gig of ram. Vista with 2gig is OK however I think you would see some improvement by going to 4gig. With the price of ram so cheap now, it makes no sense NOT to have 4gig.

6. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

Yes, however it's hard to find RAM with 2x2GB @ 667Mhz to buy these days in Australia.. :S

...and I suppose overclocking the RAM by upping the memory multiplier wont help right?

UPDATE: I was talking to my friend who won the $8K Alienware Comp in the PC Power Play magazine, and I was asking about his old 4GB Ram, which is 800 or 1066Mhz. Now, if he lends it to me, and my mobo supports 667, in theory, I should be able to change the memory multiplier to the 4GB (2x2GB) RAM can run on my PC? Would that work?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just install the ram. It will downclock to run @667. You can check crucial's site and they list ddr2 800 as compatible with your board.

8. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

K i'll give it a shot

9. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

And it should do the same for 1066 right? I dont have the ram on me currently as im borrowing it from my friend

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is unknown. You will need to set the correct vdimm [ram voltage] in the bios. The required voltage is listed on the chip itself.

FWIW if you want more ram, I would get ram that is guaranteed to work ie the ram listed on the crucial site. You can try the ram your friend has however there are no guarantees it will work.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are going to use the 1066 ram, I would run some stability tests after you install the ram.

12. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

Ok however i probably wont be able to try unril monday when i see my friend next.

However is there a need to try this since i have 32-bit vista? Even though it uses 3.5gb ram? Also would i be better off O.C my ram via fsb or multiplier?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

3.5gig is a big improvement over 2gig.
    I do not believe in overclocking anything. Run the ram at the speed your board supports.

14. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

Ok update:

My friend brang his ram - however it was 2x1GB he had. it was 1066Mhz, so I tried it anyway.

My PC booted up, but the memory multiplier had limited my options of changing the frequency, making it the max of 833Mhz.

Anyway, I put my old ram back in, changed the multiplier to 2.5 (Originally 2.0 @ 333Mhz which made it 667) and changed the DIMM voltage to +0.1V or whatever. Ran the 3Dmark06 test again, and while watching the vista sidebar gadget on the side, ram was maxing at 55% while running the CPU test, while the CPU cores were both maxing out, and at the end of the final CPU test, i just managed to get 2FPS, while the rest was either 1 or 0.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW my amd 940 quad and 4gig of ram gets 2 to maybe 3 fps on that same test. It really does not matter what the test says, it matters how the system works.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice