1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3dmark06 score gone down from 8000 to 3000 after motherboard upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ben1220, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

I originally had a 7600 GT graphics card and a msi 945p neo3 with the 7600 and 945p neo 3 I got 3dmark06 scores of about 3000. After I installed the 8800GT I got scores of over 8000. now after the motherboard installation its gone back to 3000, everything runs fine, there are no system errors, just less performance then normal. The motherboard was installed by a professional, Perhaps he needed to reinstall windows, but windows has been reinstalled before and it has made no difference. Any ideas how this has occured and how I can get my hardware performing back the way It should be?

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Have you got latest nvidia drivers? That shpuld be the forst step. Also ensure that motherboard drivers are istalled, as these can make a big difference. It would appear that as the problem started after thenew mobo installation, a driver issue is most likely :)
    You can get nvidia drivers from the nvidia website, and mobo drivers from the manufacturers site :)

3. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I'm running the same drivers that I was when I got 8000 on 3dmark06. Just to check I installed 171.17 and it made no difference at all. Can the wrong drivers really make such a difference? Also team fortress 2 is lagging, not network lag, low frames per second lag. There was no problem with this before.

Also I have g15 keyboard that shows me cpu usage and it maxes out more often then It used to. Are there any other performance benchmarks I can perform to troubleshoot the problem? Also I was told once that reinstalling windows can make your computer run slower, is this true? Because it is possible that he had to do this to this to install the new motherboard

Oh I'm not particually confident with MSI software after msi live update completly kaputed my motherboard and corrupted my bios so I would not like to touch motherboard drivers unless it is the only solution. If you need to know what drivers and bios i have for my motherboard then sure, just tell me how to find out and I will.

Just something else that may be relevent, As the motherboard install guy left he told me that my hard drive was full of windows rubbish that just fills up over time, he said that reformatting the hd would give me at least 25% more performance. Is this tech talk for saying he stuffed something up? But of course this performance drop was instant...

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

As far as the HD goes, if its full then yes, it will have an effect on performance. Windows needs HD space for temp files, paging files, and other such bits and pieces, if theres little or no room left on the drive, it has to keep trying to make space. This takes time, and will slow things down an awful lot.
    Depending on what is on your drive, it may be worth a reformat. Before even considering this, make sure you have a windows disk with codes ( obvious I know, but surprising how many people overlook it), and that it wil install. Then make sure you have latest drivers for everything, especially motherboard. Back up anything you want to keep- with the network drive, this should be nice andeasy. Once that far, format and reinstall win, then load all the drivers. It sounds as if somewhere there is a corruption of a driver, or redundant drivers, or lack of drivers. When the new mobo went in, he may r may not have loaded new drivers, but did he get rid of the old ones? Hmmm.... that could be the prob. When the new mobo went in, its possible that the wrong drivers are now being used, which would possibly work but not as well as they should.

Ok... best thing, I think, is to make sure all drivers are correct. You should have a disk with the motherboard that has drivers on it, make sure all these are re loaded. If there is no disk, you need to download from the manufacterers site, then install. If that makes no diff, then prob is elsewhere....

Try the drivers and see what happens, keep posted:)

5. pshnfry

pshnfry

Only regular issues which impact from hard drive perspective (other than failing hardware) is running one overfull - ensure > 20% free to allow for normal windows swapping and defragging. And severely fragmented drives (which also occurrs if over full as windows cannot defrag in the background during periods of low activity). So in Windows Explorer right click the main drive, properties, check free space, do a disc cleanup, then do a defrag (under the tools menu) unless you have less than 15% free. If thats the case uninstall some programs no longer used (everyone has some) and retry.

Also check in device manager for any device with exclamation marks. If any present drivers will need to be found. As above advice from Gulo Luseus. Driver disc should have come with the new board.

6. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

I have 140 GB spare space on a 250 GB hd, and its been like that since before the motherboard upgrade. thats not the problem

Only missing driver was for edirol music device that i couldnt be bothered installing since new motherboard because i dont use it much, but its installed now. I would be amazed if it made a difference but i will check 3dmark again later today.

I have defragged and done disk clean up before and that made no difference.

I'm not sure how to find out which version of motherboard drivers I am running, tell me how and I will. I have MSI p35 neo combo. Of course this means different chipset, I doubt the guy forgot that but I will try chipset update if you think it might be worth a shot.

7. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

Update:

I probably should have mentioned before, but the computer has been feeling very hot lately. Not hot enough to hurt but almost. The computer just turned off randomly yesterday while playing a game, and it felt very very hot. This is almost certainly related?

8. pshnfry

pshnfry

If the bloke who installed the mobo was a pro as you state, he will have left the mobo driver disc behind. Run it and it will tell you if drivers are allready installed.

Download and install speedfan (from Major Geeks for example) and post back on the result of the mobo disc and the temps reported.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/683708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice