1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3G/4G Internet with WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by djdubuque, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djdubuque

djdubuque Thread Starter

OK, I'm new here so take it easy on me. But my questions is this;

I have a CCTV camera the is connected to the internet via 3G/4G but also has it's own WiFi. I can connect to it via cell phone or laptop locally. But when 3G goes down I can't connect remotely. So here is what I would like to see if I can do. I have a WiFi close by from the house can I connect the camera to my WiFi in the house to connect to the camera? Network.jpg

One important snag, I can't access the home router to reconfigure, as this is provided by my ISP. Should I connect a router to the ISP router to have access to port forwarding and other router functions?

2. plankton23

plankton23

What the make and exact model numbers of "all" devices.....camera, laptop and router?

You can access the router (any router to include ISP routers) via the web based page. You access by typing 192.168.x.x where the x's are either 0 or 1 or some order of that.

3. djdubuque

djdubuque Thread Starter

As stated I'm locked out of the ISP router and have asked for access and was told no. This is why I was asking about a second router. The equipment make and models don't really have barring on this it's all about connectivity.

My CCTV camera communicates with the internet via 3G and I can connect to it via WiFi to make changes. But when 3G goes down I would like it to communicate via my home WiFi if need be.

4. plankton23

plankton23

Yes they do as this determines how and if they can interact together.

How are you locked out? Who told you, you were locked out.

This is where the documentation comes in. We can't determine if this device "only" uses 3/4G.....which is what is being suggested.

Yes you can....but you will need the SSID and password of the home WIFI.

5. djdubuque

djdubuque Thread Starter

6. plankton23

plankton23

I can't quote any of that reply individually.....so I'll have to do this the long way. We'll go by lines and there are 4.

1. Ok...thanks.

2. That user name and password is to allow you access to the wifi and wifi only.

3. That's your biggest issue right there....china made piece of junk. You might want to consider getting a better camera that has driver/software package that allows for wifi connection.

4. This directly goes to 2 and 3. As it seems to suggest you can only use 3G/4G . Which I find highly questionable.

Youtube is a great resource on the how to's.....you can bet your last dollar that someone out there has created a video about it.

Note: to go back to 2; To sign into the router and make changes.....you have to use a web browser and type in the search field 192.168.x.x were x is some combo of .0.1 This is where the youtube video comes in. And to do that I need the make/model of that router you have.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For "other router functions" the answer depends on what those are.

For 'port forwarding" the answer is 'no, don't bother.' Any signal that does not get from the ISP router's WAN to its LAN is not going to be seen by any secondary router.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice