1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3GB RAM only detecting 1GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phil_Cutcliffe, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil_Cutcliffe

Phil_Cutcliffe Thread Starter

First of all hello to all @ Tech Support Guy Forums.

Basicaly I have a Sony VAIO (VGN-AR51M)

I had my laptop sent off for repair as my graphics card is a defect Nvidia chip and it had to be re-balled however you spell it. I now have the laptop back and everything is working absolutely fine.. But! I noticed when I checked in task manager & also the BIOS my laptop was only detecting 1GB of ram in total.. It detected the whole 3GB before just fine.. So i tried a couple of things out..

I took out the 1GB stick of RAM and left the 2GB stick in and it detected the 2GB just fine. I then did the same method with just the 1GB stick left inside and it only detected the 1GB.. (I tried doing both the sticks in each slots each time to check one of the RAM slots wasn't faulty)

The problem I'm having is that when both the sticks of ram (2GB & 1GB) are in the laptop it only detects 1GB of ram.. I have been racking my brains for the past 2 hours wondering how the hell this is possible but it sure as hell is..

So my question to you guys.. How do I fix it? ;)

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Have you called the repair shop and ask them what could be the problem since it was working before you sent it to them?

3. Phil_Cutcliffe

Phil_Cutcliffe Thread Starter

The problem is it wasn't a repair shop.. It seems like the guy may have replaced some bits on my laptop with an earlier model.. Nothing seriouse I don't think he has changed the motherboard but certainly something seeing as my restore software on the laptop (restore to factory settings) seems not to work any more and sais it is the wrong disc for the laptops model.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice