1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3rd Party Fix for 95/98/ME for Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mulderator, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

Since Congress passed the New Daylight Savings Time effective this year, computers without Windows XP or updates or without Vista will not reset its time correctly this year (or future years)--it will be 3 weeks late in the spring since they are starting DST three weeks early and one week early in the fall. So for Windows 95/98/ME, there is a 3rd party utility to fix your time--go here:

http://www.intelliadmin.com/Daylight...20Download.asp

and scroll down to Free Downloads.

The update is for these time zones:

-Alaska Standard Time Zone
    -Central Standard Time Zone
    -Eastern Standard Time Zone
    -Mountain Standard Time Zone
    -Pacific Standard Time Zone
    -Atlantic Standard Time Zone (Canada)
    -Newfoundland Standard Time Zone (Canada)

So if you are not in that time zone, don't download it.

I haven't tried these fixes, so do it at your own risk. Perhaps someone else can let us know how it works

2. smeegle

smeegle

Thanks, Mulder.

3. hewee

hewee

I got mine installed a couple hours ago. Not really a install because it just adds the change to the registry and you can run it again to undo it.

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Good to know (y) I still have a machine running 98.

5. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

Here is a link to how to backup and restore your registry, so you can do that and then feel a lot safer about running this fix since if it doesn't work, you can restore the registry from before the fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322754/

6. raybro

raybro

Hello all... I downloaded and installed the DST fix on my Win98SE system and then ran the test suggested on the download site. As instructed, I reset the date and time to Nov 4, 2007 at 1:59 AM. When the time reached 2:01 AM there was no change in the time as was expected. Although it was not suggested, I also tried setting the time to March 11, 2007 1:59 AM and still no change occured. Therefore I'm unsure whether the fix was effctive. I sent a private message to Hewee asking if he ran the test and he replied it did not work for him either. Has the test worked for anyone?

Raybro

7. hewee

hewee

It never worked for me either.

I also was thinking maybe the patch needs to load up after the new time change at boot up so shut down and restarted PC but nothing changed.

Also I got Dimension 4 v5.0 that does the time change to the atomic clocks http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/index.htm and it did not do anything.

Changed the time on my own and made the time off a couple min's and then ran Dimension 4 v5.0 and it fixed the time and made it right.
    I think Dimension 4 v5.0 works great but it may not know that your clock is a hour off if it only check's the min's and sec's.

8. Augie65

Augie65

I installed the patch several weeks ago on a windows 98se system I have and it worked perfectly today. You can try this test site that I used on xp, 98se, and a mac.
    http://dst.cdes.umn.edu/

9. hewee

hewee

I got the DaylightSavingFix98.exe patch and ran it.
    I go to the test site Augie65 and it says...
    Your system does not appear patched for the DST 2007 change!
    Use the appropriate link for your computer's operating system

So the patch never worked.

10. raybro

raybro

Thanks Augie65, that at least gives me some confidence. I did run the test from the link you gave and it said my puter was OK. However, I activated the fix prog and removed the fix and ran the test again and it still sid my system was OK. So I dunno. Guess I'll leave the patch in and see what happens in November.

EDIT... Hewee posted while I was typing so now I'm really confused Augie65's site says mine is OK and Hewee's is not. Anybody got a suggestion other than just leave it alone?

Raybro

11. hewee

hewee

I wonder if any other programs that are installed on your PC has a effect on the patch?
    Can't think of a program right now but know I have seen the day light checkbox setting in other tweak programs.

12. Augie65

Augie65

When I tested my 98se at the site, the first time I received a message that it couldn't determine what time zone I was in. I then closed down and when I went back, the test proved OK. This morning my 98se had changed to the correct time when I booted it up. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone's computer will work the same on any software install. Mine worked, so I don't know why others may not.

13. hewee

hewee

Augie65 I think the other day when I did not pass the test it said " it couldn't determine what time zone I was in" so who knows what is going on.

14. Augie65

Augie65

I don't know hewee, when I first installed the patch, I rebooted before I did anything else. I always figured any change in the registry needs a reboot. Don't know if that made any difference or not. You can see on the forum today that some are having problems, but most are ok. Just computers I guess.:D
    Did the site every pass the test for you?

15. raybro

raybro

OK, think I got it. The test by resetting the clock to Nov 4 is bogus (at least on my system). Here is what I did to verify the patch works.

Insert your Win98CD and click browse CD

click Tools

Click reskit

click Config

Click tzedit.exe

This will show you what the start and end date and times for DST are set to. I removed the fix and the times were the old settings. Then I installed the fix and the times were set to the new (correct) settings. You can also just go in and edit your settings manually with this method.

I'm satisfied the patch works on my system.

Raybro

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice