1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3rd Party Fix for 95/98/ME for Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mulderator, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hewee

hewee

Where in the registry do you look and edit?

2. raybro

raybro

Hewee... I did not do a direct edit to the registry. The change is implmented thru the tools available on the win98 CD. But if you are interested, the location of the time zone info is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/currentcontrolset/control/timezoneinformation.

Raybro

3. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

4. Mr.Pilon

Mr.Pilon

dont know if this relates to time change issue or not, every time I turn off my computer it resets to 1/1/99 midnight, I looked in regedit local machine etc but can not figure out how to get the thing to keep current time.
    Maybe something as simple as replacing the batery but am not sure.
    (if this is in wrong thread please feel free to move it to right one)
    any and all help would be apreciated as it gets tiresome setting the clock manually every time.
    I dont know when the problem started as I always have my wrist watch on so never looked at the time till daylight savings message came up on browser.
    Thanks

5. raybro

raybro

A remote possibility is it may be associated with the infamous W2K "Problem" back in Jan 1, 2000 when all the world computers were supposed to go bonkers. I just don't remember the details of that fiasco. Check your Windows update and be sure you have the W2K fix installed. Also as you implied, the CMOS battery is another possibility and is simple to try. Be aware that when you remove the CMOS battery, your BIOS will reset to the default settings. Of course, if the battery IS defective, that will have happened already.

Raybro

6. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

I am using WIN98SE so my computer wouldn't adjust to the new daylight savings time. I finally found a cool freeware application called Zone Manager that will allow me to change the daylight savings time settings. It was the only software I could find available which will allow me to not only edit the existing time zone settings but will also allow me to create as many new zones as I want so when Congress has another inclination to mess with the time again (which as we know makes very little impact on energy savings anyway) I can just create another time zone setting if necessary. The utility also has a Clock Synchronization as well.

For me this makes more sense than using a patch that will only fix the Daylight Savings Time to the settings that Congress has currently inacted. Of course another patch will be needed if Congress inacts another time zone change. This application avoids this by allowing the user to create as many "custom settings" as needed.

A reference to this great application:
    http://www.5starsupport.com/tutorial/time-zone-settings.htm

Saving the short cut to your "custom time zone" as described in the link above is optional. Of course you can even create multiple time zone short cuts on your desk top if that is useful to you.

Where you can find Zone Manager:
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

7. Mr.Pilon

Mr.Pilon

my issue was with a dead battery, replaced it and everything works fine, but will download the dst fix to be on safe side.

8. Mr.Pilon

Mr.Pilon

i am running 98 on my computer, but when i try to download the patch it tells me it only works on windows 98 and wont let me download it.any ideas?

9. ZeRealBigBoss

ZeRealBigBoss

10. softrain

softrain Guest

Maybe I'm missing something,but why would you need to download
    anything when all you have to do is click your time on the taskbar and
    when the clock opens up, just change the time and date???

11. softrain

softrain Guest

I already left this comment, but in case it doesn't post, I said:
    Why would you need to download anything when all you need to
    do is click your time on the taskbar, and when the clock opens on your
    screen, change the date and time to whatever's correct. click
    APPLY, and that's all there is to do.

12. ZeRealBigBoss

ZeRealBigBoss

@softrain
    I completetly agree with you, but that behaviour is indoctrinated by means of the Microsoft culture: Windows does everything for you so that you do not have to think for yourself. In that way they can force their will onto you if you are not hampered by any critical thinking, what most indows users seem to be. Example? Try to erase the folder My Documents.

13. raybro

raybro

No disagreement regarding the 'Microsoft Culture" thing, but this particular download has a specific function whereby it changes the date in the registry on which the daylight savings time changes are implimented in the future. That way one does not have to mess with it 2 times every year. Automatic features such as this are, after all, fundamental operations for a computer.

This operation can also be done by manually editing the registry or accessing the relavent registry entry via your windows CD using the tzedit.exe tool. See my previous posts #15 & #17 for this info.

Raybro

14. ZeRealBigBoss

ZeRealBigBoss

Many things on a computer are repetitive and so basic that they can be automated. IMO there is a borderline, however, and the area passing that is the Microsoft Culture. Instead of considering the user to be an intellectually independent, the Culture does everything ad extrema to treat him as a half-wit. The most known example is the paperclip, but do not forget e.g. the automatic word and sentence finishing or the autocorrection. All that was based on a previous idea of Melinda, who initially came with bright design of a living room as the user interface with Fido, slippers and everything else homely to click on. I wonder how much more professional the HI would have been had she not been the boss's favourite and appointed head of the HI development.

And let's be honest; Whatever Windows version you use, the qualification "Professional" defenitely is not applicable. Ever tried to permanently delete the privately popular, but for most bussineses effectively timewasting directory "My Photos" or "My Videos"? Well, the normal argument is: it doesn't harm that it is there. That may be so, but that does not invalidate my point of view, although that not really may be general consensus.

15. raybro

raybro

OK

Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice