3rd party software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

justin71xx

user reports a problem with his home computer and cannot install a 3rd party application. what is the first step to take.

i'd presume finding out what there attempting to install and seeing if its compatible with their system... kinda an odd question..

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
i'd presume finding out what there attempting to install and seeing if its compatible with their system... kinda an odd question..
It's a homework question.

Justin, you'd be further ahead if you would just be upfront about your questions ;) Some folks may still want to help, others won't want to. Honesty is the best policy :)

mmmm.. explains the oddness of the question... i've been seeing allot of homework questions here on the forums lately.... well in that case justin, i'm not really sure what your looking for...

justin71xx

i just posted a thread. just asking a question. can you tell what a third party software would be thats not a homework questions. its to just further my knowledge because im not sure what a 3rd party software would be. sorry for the inconvenience.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Third party software is any software that did not come with your Windows operating system.

Real Player, Norton Anti-Virus, the list goes on and on.

justin71xx

thank you for your help. do you know any computer support tech, troubleshooting websites. i know i asked this already i just wanna know

Well, in the way of other tech support sites there are plenty, but to be completely honest with you this is the best one, your not gonna find as friendly help and support on the others as you find here. but a quick Google search for "free tech support" will probably come up with dozens of other sites...

I think a better definition of third party software would be any software that is not written by the manufacturer of the PC, or the manufacturer of the OS.

If you purchased Norton Antivirus with the system, it would still be third party software even though it came with the PC.

If you purchase MS Office after you buy the PC, that would not be third party software, even though it did not come with the Operating System.

Same with buying an HP printer for your HP PC. The printer software would not be third party. But, if you buy a Dell printer for your HP PC, that would be third party software.

HTH

Jerry

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
So, if you have a MAC operating system, would Microsoft Office be a 3rd party program?

Yes, if it's the Mac version of Office.

Yes, if it's the Windows version of Office running in Wine, as Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Yes and No, if it's the Windows version of Office running in a an Emulator like Parallels which is running Windows -- It's 3rd party to the Mac, but not to the Windows OS running in Parallels.

I think I should duck now;), that last one may have earned me a SMACK.

Jerry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online