4.0 TB drive only shows 2TB

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

muckmail

I have western digital 4 TB internal drive that only shows 2TB in windows 7 and 8 file explorier when I do a properties check. Model number WD40PURX
Why is it doing this?
Does the drive have a problem?

Thank you,

plodr

Liz
No, the drive doesn't have a problem.

Windows 7 Supports up to 2 TB of addressable capacity**
** Capacity beyond 2 TB cannot be addressed by Windows if the disk is initialized by using the MBR partitioning scheme. For example, for a 3 TB single disk that is initialized by using MBR, Windows can create partitions up to the first 2 TB. However, the remaining capacity cannot be addressed and, therefore, cannot be used.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...port-for-hard-disks-that-are-larger-than-2-tb

muckmail

The gptgen.exe program uses gptgen.exe -w \\.\\PhysicalDrive1
How do I determine the phyical drive name that I am working on?

Thank you,

managed

Allan
I would make backups of any important files first just to be safe.

To run gptgen.exe hold down a Shift key and right click the folder it's in then click on 'Open command window here' and run the command in that new window by following the instructions in my link in post #3.

Use the same number that Device Manager gives the drive, near the bottom left in bold, ie Disk 0, Disk 1 etc.

To check if it changed to GPT right click on that same area > Properties > Volumes tab.

managed

Allan
I tested gptgen.exe and it works, you have to restart the computer before the change to GPT takes effect though.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online