1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

4.0 TB drive only shows 2TB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muckmail, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I have western digital 4 TB internal drive that only shows 2TB in windows 7 and 8 file explorier when I do a properties check. Model number WD40PURX
    Why is it doing this?
    Does the drive have a problem?

Thank you,

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    No, the drive doesn't have a problem.

Windows 7 Supports up to 2 TB of addressable capacity**
    ** Capacity beyond 2 TB cannot be addressed by Windows if the disk is initialized by using the MBR partitioning scheme. For example, for a 3 TB single disk that is initialized by using MBR, Windows can create partitions up to the first 2 TB. However, the remaining capacity cannot be addressed and, therefore, cannot be used.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...port-for-hard-disks-that-are-larger-than-2-tb

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  4. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

The gptgen.exe program uses gptgen.exe -w \\.\\PhysicalDrive1
    How do I determine the phyical drive name that I am working on?

Thank you,

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I would make backups of any important files first just to be safe.

To run gptgen.exe hold down a Shift key and right click the folder it's in then click on 'Open command window here' and run the command in that new window by following the instructions in my link in post #3.

Use the same number that Device Manager gives the drive, near the bottom left in bold, ie Disk 0, Disk 1 etc.

To check if it changed to GPT right click on that same area > Properties > Volumes tab.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I tested gptgen.exe and it works, you have to restart the computer before the change to GPT takes effect though.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice