4 Beeps or blue screen error w/ Dell laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Trussell10

When I try to turn on My Dell Inspiron n5110 laptop, it boots up for a few minutes then gives me the blue screen in the picture. Other times it just beeps 4 times continuously until I cut it off with no display. If this cannot be fixed, can I get my information off of it?

Attachments

managed

Allan
Those 4 beeps mean a Ram problem, try reseating the Ram stick(s) as shown in this video :-

Trussell10

Those 4 beeps mean a Ram problem, try reseating the Ram stick(s) as shown in this video :-

So I took out the first one I saw. It booted up no problem but now it's running slow. Should I try to insert this back in or leave it out.

Attachments

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Try the other stick on its own.
If that fails you know it is faulty.
If it works as well try both but in opposite slots.

managed

Allan
Sometimes the Ram can move if the laptop is knocked etc and simply taking the stick(s) out and putting them back is enough to fix it.

Any progress yet ?

Trussell10

Sometimes the Ram can move if the laptop is knocked etc and simply taking the stick(s) out and putting them back is enough to fix it.

Any progress yet ?
Tried it out in both slots. Turns out that it may be the top ram slot and not the ram itself that is actually damaged.

managed

Allan
Try all the combinations of 1 stick in 1 slot to pin it down. If it is the slot all you can do is get a large capacity stick for the working slot.

Trussell10

Tried all possible combinations. It's definitely the slot. What could have caused this? Is it possible that this is the work of a nasty computer virus? Mcafee hasn't picked anything up but I take pretty good care of my laptop physically.

managed

Allan
Almost certainly a physical problem rather than software/virus. Double check that the ram is fully into the slot, the gold contacts should be in to the slot the same amount for both slots. You have to get the angle right (as shown in the video) and push in firmly, also needs a good light to see this properly.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Also brush out the slot with an old toothbrush dipped lightly in either medical alcohol or surgical spirits. Any other sort will leave trace oils behind.

Even just a clean toothbrush may help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online