1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

4 bit colour - why?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wintersun, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wintersun

wintersun Thread Starter

Hi,

I know some basic stuff about computers, but I don't know how to fix this problem.

I have Windows XP. Firstly, the computer started running slower than usual for a while (a few weeks), then one day when I started the computer up, a screen came up in the DOS bit at the start asking me what mode I wanted to start in as there was a problem. I selected the option (and Im paraphrasing here) 'The last good configuration' as it seemed best. From then on, the colour went to 4 bit, and an 800x600 resolution. I can't change these settings as I normally would, as there are no other options available. I can use the computer fairly normally, except the awful colour and res. However, if the screensaver comes on, and I re-activate the screen, it will be totally messed up - the edges puffed out like a pincushion setting, black and white, lines travelling down the screen and flickering, sometimes going totally black then coming back again. :eek:

My housemate started the computer up and somehow got the original DOS screen back asking which mode to start in - he selected 'safe mode' and the colour was then good - except the internet then wouldn't connect. (I have broadband so it's normally automatic - I don't know how to connect it manually)

This is my brother's computer, so I don't know a lot about it - programs and so on - he's un-contactable at the moment and will be for a couple of months... I'd greatly appreciate any help!

Many Thanks.

By the way - I don't know if this is relevant but the computer does have a firewall.

2. paublo

paublo

to connect to the internet in safe mode you have to select safe mode with networking

But sorry thats all I can offer at the moment

3. dai

dai

reinstall your video drivers

4. vtel57

vtel57

Wintersun,

If you'll RIGHT click on My Computer and choose Properties, then choose the Hardware tab, then click on the "Device Manager". When the list opens, you'll probably see a big yellow " ! " next to the Video card listing. This means that your video card has failed for some reason. As Dai said, reinstall your video drivers for this card. That may solve your problem. In the meantime, the system is running off the bare minimum video on the motherboard, most likely. That's why you cannot go to higher resolutions or better color bit quality.

Luck!

~Eric

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/254209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice