1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

4 computers in the house: the two Macs are connected, the two Vistas are not

Discussion in 'Networking' started by paolo79, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paolo79

paolo79 Thread Starter

Hello..I am desperately looking for a solution who is making my life a living hell!!
    I moved into the new house with two laptops with Windows Vista installed. Since then I have been experiencing severe problems with the wireless connection. The operator is TalkTalk.

As soon as we realised that the problem seemed to exist exclusively on our Vistas (since the two Macs, of another couple of tenants who had been living here for long, were working correctly as usual) we called the company. They suggested many things I have already read on this forum such as deleting the other networks, re-adding mine manually etc. We then realised that things were more complicated than initially thought and started analysing the problem more in depth. We went through their website and changed different settings, including those listed in the properties of "Manage wireless connection" or sth like that (we changed some IP configurations, the protocol ivp4/6, etc.). The outcome was that my Vistas started working while the Macs stopped.

I called them again many other times but no conclusive solution was ever found. I eventually talked to another operator who drew the conclusion according to which the WEP configuration of our Vistas is not compatible with that of the MAC. In other words either the Vistas would work or the Macs. No way they could both work at the same time!!!!

Please I noticed that people from this website are much more competent than those working for these companies and that you may have the solution....PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Is this one premises , usually a broadband connection will only supply one premise and not share across a building unless its a business IP _

so talktalk have provided an adsl internet connection and I assume also a router do you know the make and model of the router
    usually they are setup with talktalk on firmware ....

however, no reason why Mac and PC can not co-exist on the same router using a wireless connection - the talktalk installs i have done you just connect to the wireless signal and use the passcode

Lets just work on one Vista PC
    lets see an xirrus screen shot - see below - make sure we know which is your signal
    i would put the tcp settings back to automatic - see below
    Also do a tcp/ip reset - see below

Post back an ipconfig /all from the vista PC - see below

sorry dont really understand
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Setup to Automatically get IP and DNS - FOR vista
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-TCP-IP-settings

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    The please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Post back the results here
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

{ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

3. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

what is the security settings on the router? You mentioned WEP being incompatible. Have you tried connecting all four open authentication?

4. gyclone

gyclone

You seem to be in good hands with "etaf", so I just want to assure you that there is no reason why a Vista machine and a Mac can't run on the same network using the same security protocol. I used to administer a network that had machines running just about every version of Windows and every version of Mac OSX and, although some systems were harder to configure than others, they all worked, eventually. My guess is that the Mac's fell off the network after you changed the settings because one of the changes just confused the Mac's (like you switched from IPv4 to IPv6 or set some conflicting manual IP addresses, or something).

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try w/o encryption first, and then when everything is working see if you can use WPA-PSK encryption.

If you have to use WEP be aware that some devices will translate ascii passcodes differently, so use HEX keys.

Also be aware that sometimes Vista struggles with WEP, especially with older routers. If you can (that is, if the router does not have special ISP firmware) make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. If you update it then reset to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

6. paolo79

paolo79 Thread Starter

Thank you Etaf..Unfortunately I couldn't try everything you suggested.

The TCP/IP configuration commands did not seem to have produced any effect. Also I didn't have much time to go through all the other command as Im not that literate when it comes to investigate deeply into IT issues. But I will as I must sort this out.
    Quotes:
    1) The router provided by Talk Talk covers the flat where the problem is being experienced. We are simply four flatmates with four computers living in the same apartment and sharing the same router.
    2) About the problem of WEP incompatibility mentioned by the Talk Talk operator is, according to many, the mere excuse of an operator who was being excessively pushed towards a solution by a frustrated user. Not very convincing in his answer. He was not sure himself. He just wanted me to hang up politely (I think you guys should be earning that money and even more I guess..).

IMPORTANT NOTE PREVIOUSLY FORGOTTEN:

The two computers with Vista installed were bought at different times. One is an Acer while the other is a Toshiba. Both of them have ALWAYS worked over the past two years in many locations with Wireless connections. Maybe minor problems were initially encountered (when it comes to a connection that doesn't seem to work at first but then you wait a few secs and everything goes smoothly) but they worked with EVERY wireless we needed to use BUT with that in this house. Scary thing is that we changed the previous router (one year old) one week ago cos this was suggested by the company and replaced it with a brand new one sent directly here by Talk Talk. The problem persists!!!
    Could it not be something TalkTalk or this specific router-related? TalkTalk-5F0CD5; Model:DSL-2680

As soon as we switched the new one on, the Macs were more than fine, our Vistas were dead!!! The fact is that when we changed the settings the first time (when ours started working at the expenses of the Macs) we caused serious inconvenience to the others and this is likely to happen again.

Thanks guys

7. paolo79

paolo79 Thread Starter

Didn't put the space...Model: DSL-2680

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may be an issue with talktalk router firmware - they are having some issues with streaming wirelessly on one of the makes they use - basically the router does not allow streaming - so it maybe a remote chance its the router

But you will have to try out a few things
    but first can we see the xirrus screen shot from a vista machine

9. paolo79

paolo79 Thread Starter

I should have uploaded the file but since I am not that literate when it comes to uploading stuff on a forum page, please let me know if I haven't as I can't see it

Attached Files:

10. paolo79

paolo79 Thread Starter

Ah ok. I did it. I can see it now. Please let me know if you can see something in it. Thanks

11. paolo79

paolo79 Thread Starter

Sorry left bits from the BSSID section out. Got the hang of it. This is the complete shot. The network is the one whose graph box is ticked: TALKTALK-5F0CD5

Attached Files:

12. paolo79

paolo79 Thread Starter

Just looked at the IP and DNS to be set up automatically through the link posted. They were both set automatically already

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you getting a connection to the wireless but cannot communicate, or not even able to connect?

We've seen a lot of problems with the Atheros AR5007EG adapter for months. Usually with WPA or WPA2 encryption it can connect but then not communicate. Maybe WEP will work, but I don't think anybody has yet tested it and reported back to us.

There is a small possibility that using Device Manager to update the driver or installing the latest driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site will work.

Who is the laptop manufacturer, please?

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    in addition to terrynet questions
    I would change that wireless signal channel on the router to use channel 6 -
    also on the 2nd MAchine you have that will not connect - lets see a device manager screen shot - OR - another xirrus - just want to see if that has the same adapter Atheros AR5007, if so then that would explain the issue - as terrynet says we are seeing a lot of issues where this adapter has been working and then stops on a router change ....

{Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here

15. paolo79

paolo79 Thread Starter

Yes following previous posts I already tried much about the network adaptors and I can confirm that the adapter is the same on both computers: Atheros AR5007EG. Computer manufacturers: 1)Acer 2)Toshiba.

Like I said these Vistas started working only after re-setting password and the rest for the first router since they weren't working at the beginning (while the Macs were). After making these changes, suggested by the company, they started working while the Macs stopped. Now we have a brand new router which works normally on the Macs and doesn't on ours. I'm sure that calling the company will make our computers work again by blocking the Macs through the same kind of changes. So I don't know if it is the router itself or whatever.........but I was actually looking for features in common between the two computers.

These are 1)Norton anti-virus whose installation caused problems to other users writing on this forum. I removed it from one of my computers and didn't work (2)The Atheros AR5007EG network adapter. Apart from these features the two computers have a completely different history so I can't think of anything else.

@TerryNet. The problem is that the connection works (it says it's connected but the network is apparently unidentified and the access is the "famous" local). Here's the shot in case I haven't been clear:

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice