4 GB memory at 333Mhz or 2 GB/400Mhz?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rmiller1959

I have a new motherboard that's capable of hosting 4 GB of RAM, and I had four identical Kingston 1 GB modules ready to install when I discovered that placing dual-sided RAM in all four slots would reduce the memory speed from 400Mhz to 333Mhz. Disappointed, I distributed two of the 1 GB modules to other computers in the house and settled for 2 GB of RAM running in dual-channel mode at 400Mhz.

I'm not qualified to test RAM speeds, nor do I have the time, so I ask the collective intelligence out there this question:

Which is faster or better for running multiple applications - 2 GB of RAM in dual-channel mode at 400MHz or 4 GB of RAM in dual-channel mode at 333MHz? My configuration is:

- MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ Dual-Core processor
- 2 GB Kingston 184-pin DIMMs
- Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me! :)

pugmug

Banned
Unless you edit photo's and such things for a living, I would go with 2gig in dual channel. Juat a question for you.What would you need 4gig of ram for anyway?

rmiller1959

With five computers in the house and because of frequent upgrades that result in spare components, I happen to have it available. I just want to know if I should use it, install it elsewhere, give it away or take it to the electronic recycling bin at the dump. Thanks for your prompt reply!

rmiller1959

Let me see if my kids can use it first (grin)! They're into video editing and creating multimedia shows, and they're always complaining about the lack of speed when doing it. The extra RAM couldn't hurt! Thanks again for your help!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can't imagine why you'd need 4gig of RAM. I'd much rather have 2gig of faster RAM if it were my system.

Rukee

Banned
it`s a limitation of the a64 CPUs, not the motherboard or memory.
I would opt for the 2 sticks at 400mhz, unless you have CAD work to do or some app that requires 4 gigs.

rmiller1959

It's interesting that you would say that - I've seen that comment in other places, but my motherboard manual is pretty specific about memory configuration and associated bus speeds, and it makes no mention of the processor. I have an AMD 64 X2 3800+ CPU (Manchester); is it supposed to be capable of support 4 double-sided DIMMs at 400MHz?

you also could put the 4 gig in and try to force the 400mhz fsb not sure if that would work or not.

It doesn't matter how fast they run. The performance difference is trivial.

It takes a fair bit of effort to use 2 GB of memory. I run a 1.5 GB system that has no trouble with Photoshop files with over 75 layers.

CTRL-ALT-DEL / Task Manager / Peformance ..will tell you how much is available. If it shows 90%+ utilization and the system tanks under intensive tasks, then keep the extra memory.

KRT

ya thiers a huge differnce in 333 and 400 if all 4 ran at 400 it would be better but you would need a game that needed 4 gigs of ram to really even see them work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online