1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

4 missing drivers missing after reinstall help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Treetops, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Treetops

Treetops Thread Starter

I reinstalled windows xp home edition from a cd at work because i lost mine, and i used the driver cd's from a computer from my work, to the best of my knowledge i should have everything i need. However im missing my ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, sm bus controller, video controller (vga compatible). iv downloaded like 30 different supposed drivers of these types from various sites and transfered them to my computer via burnt cd and only my vga has been fixed. As you can guess without my ethernet controller i have no internet acces plz help. Im using a laptop right now trying to fix my comp :(. The computer im trying to fix is windows Xp home edition, dell computer, dimension 2400, pentium(r) 4 cpu 2.53ghz, current windows is version 2002 service pack 1. i know alittle about computers if you need more information tell me what you need and how i can get it ty.

2. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

dell hasn't put drivers on cd's for a long time.

4. Treetops

Treetops Thread Starter

Im going to start trying the files i think i need, it would be helpful if you could tell me exactly wich ones from that link i need. Thx for the quick response.

5. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

My Dell 2400 which is the same model as the OP is inquiring about came with a resourse cd with all the drivers on it.

6. Treetops

Treetops Thread Starter

the drivewr cd im using is not from my computer it is from a computer from work (resource cd) so thats why im assuming it didnt work. Could u plz tell me the what files i need from that site :).

7. Treetops

Treetops Thread Starter

Iv got one right already now i need the bus sm controller and the multimedia audio controller. If you know wich files they are on that link lemme know.

8. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Goto Control Panel > System > Click on the Hardware tab, then click on Device Manager. From the drop down list write down the names and any other iinfo you need to find the drivers you need and download them fron the link I gave you.

9. Treetops

Treetops Thread Starter

Well the devices are bus sm controller and the multimedia audio controller. But they arent actualy named that on the list in the link, i had to guess on the one i got right. Ill get it right eventualy through trial and error but if can name them out to me id aprreciate it. for example my ethernet controller was named broadcom 404 intregrated nic. Ok new update all i need now is the bus sm controller.

10. Treetops

Treetops Thread Starter

Well all i need now is that bus sm controller i haveno idea what it does so i really have no idea wich file on that link to chose, hell for all i know i don't even need it. ty very much btw i spent nearly 20 hours the last week trying to fix this and became a member of this site 40 min ago and now my computer is running great. THANKS A MILLION

11. horsecharles

horsecharles

You do need it...will improve performance greatly. Go here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go! and install #2 & 4.

12. Treetops

Treetops Thread Starter

i went and got it from the link thx.

13. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you need the drivers specific to that dell machine. video, chipset, audio and ethernet/nic.

14. horsecharles

horsecharles

I would add-- for future reference for all systems, not just this one-- that even newer drivers are available(than from dell & intel) thru each component manufacturer....

15. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I was just wondering why he could not just purchase a legal copy of windows like the rest of us?

I wonder what the rules here say about this? I think we should all go read them.

Tech Support Guy Site Rules

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/588573