1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

4 OS's give error installing on pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pig in a barrel, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pig in a barrel

pig in a barrel Thread Starter

my pc i was running vista home premium and received a bsod whilst playing cod4 and it restarted i then tried to boot normally which failed so then safe mode this failed aswell. i then tried to repair with my windows vista disk which then failed with a bsod. i have tried windows xp, ubuntu 8.04.1 and ubuntu 6.06, xp gives bsod and error 4 in ubuntu. i have switched out hardware that has had issues previously (gfx card and hdd's) and have tried a different hdd (80gb seagate ide hdd) by itself
    my system specs are
    E6750 2.66ghz dual core
    2GB 800mhz DDR2 transend ram (1 stick)
    inno3d 8800GT factory overclocked
    GA-73PVM-S2H
    250GB Seagate barracuda SATA2 HDD
    Western Digital 160gb IDE HDD
    460W Coolermaster PSU
    LG DVD-RW GSA-H62N SATA 2
    Any suggestions on how to fix this proplem would be nice as i really cant afford a new motherboard atm

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things you might want to try.

1 Test the ram with memtest or the vista install disk has a memory test option.
    2 Is the system overclocked? If so, return all settings to stock before attempting an install.
    3 I assume you can enter the bios. Post your temps and voltages here. Note let the system run for a while in the bios and see if the voltages vary at all.

3. MaD_KiLLeR

MaD_KiLLeR

just thinking, can your PSU handle all this? Your PSU might not be giving enough power and giving you errors?

4. pig in a barrel

yeah its definately the ram im using the ubuntu mem test thats on the live cd and the list of errors is growing fast ill put in my old ram and see if that works

5. pig in a barrel

and my psu has enough power for it it has worked fine for ages thats why im so stumped that its not working now

6. pig in a barrel

yeah it was the ram that was dead bugger i only bought it yesterday thanks for your help guys looks like ill be taking another trip back there

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you found out it was the ram.

For future reference, just because a pw supply has worked for years does not mean it is OK now and not causing you a problem. A general rule for pw supplies is if you get 5yrs out of it, it is now time to replace it.

I would get name brand ram like kingston, corsair, or crucial.

8. pig in a barrel

yeah thats a good rule thats why i was annoyed its less than a year old bought it in january when i built my pc and i think ill prob go with kingston

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Any of the three and you should be fine.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice