1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

4-pin firewire port = what memory card reader?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by utfluke, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. utfluke

utfluke Thread Starter

Good morning.

I am in the process of purchasing a digital camera, and I am trying to find a memory card reader for the following setup. I hope any one of you can help me.

I have a 4 pin firewire port on my 3 year old computer. Most, if not all, of the firewire card readers being sold have 6 pin connections. I can get a 6 to 4 adapter cable, but all of the card readers I have found get power from the bus on the computer through the 2 extra pins, and do not have a standalone power option.

So my question is this: Do any of you use a 6-pin firewire memory card reader with standalone power (AC adapter, batteries, the like)? FYI, I am using a Sandisk 1 GB CF II card.

This has been an incredibly hard piece of information to find out. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

2. winbob

winbob

Welcome to the Forum!

Why are you looking for a Firewire reader?

USB readers are the common vehicle and are very inexpensive. I don't even recall ever seeing an Ad for a firewire version?

I do not believe that you can conjure up a performance issue between the to.

3. utfluke

utfluke Thread Starter

I have the older version of USB in my computer, and a firewire card reader would be a cheaper upgrade than taking my computer apart.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

5. utfluke

utfluke Thread Starter

Yeah, that's the issue I've been running into. I may be SOL, but I thought I would try here and a few other places first.

6. winbob

winbob

My laptop is USB 1.1 and I use a USB card reader for my Digital Camera's cards...no problem. I ave also used the cards as Data Cards (floppy) for transfers between systems.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless there's some burning need for super speed, the USB 1.1 connection is quite sufficient for the FLASH card reader. If it takes about 4 minutes to read a 256MB load from the camera card, so what? FWIW, you can also purchase a USB 2.0 card for your computer for around $15, which will solve the speed problem. No sense trying to fit a round peg into a square hole here...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice