1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

40 gig HD on Gigabyte GA5-ax motherboard????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john_waldrum, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john_waldrum

john_waldrum Thread Starter

trying to put my 40 gig quantum fireball plus hard drive onto another computer that currently has a 15 gig HD, but for some reason it will not boot up gets stuck. The 40 gig has an operating system and many files and I did not want to format. The motherboard specs are: Gigabyte ga5-ax bios v.4.51, I am thinking that the motherboard will not support the larger hd and I probably need to flash the bios, What do you think? does anyone know if the motherboard supports the hd, cannot find it on their website.

2. brianF

brianF

Do the bios recognize the correct size of the drive????

If you trying to boot into windows with it the system devices probably need to be reconfigured to get there

First boot into SafeMode. To get into SafeMode, restart the PC. Now after the drives are recognized
    on the screen but before the W98 splash screen, start tapping the F8 key. You should get the
    startup menu with 6 options. Take the option for SafeMode. Now click on
    Start>Settings>CP>System>DeviceManager. Scroll down and click on the "+" next to
    "SystemDevices". Now remove them all and reboot. Also, if you had any onboard devices like
    sound, video or a modem with the prior MB, be sure they are removed, too. And also remove any
    "old" devices you might still see listed in DeviceManager.

Now click on Start>Shutdown>Restart and let Windows boot into Normal mode and reinstall the
    devices. Have your CD for the motherboard and the W98 CD available in case your prompted for
    them by W98.

3. john_waldrum

cannot get into safe mode, PC stalls when detecting hard drive, also in bios it is set to auto and lba, I was going to enter the parameters in that sections sectors, etc. but those are not listed on the outside of the HD

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi John

I had a gigabyte board that would do that but there were no bios updates avaliable for my board so I ended up buying a promise controller card for my computer.

Quantum drives are now supported by Maxtor. They have full drive manuals on their site.

You could try this.

5. john_waldrum

ok, thanks for the info Lurker1, I went to the maxtor site and it said to flash the bios which i did. Now when PC boots up it detects the quantum hard drive and then when it says verifying DMI, it says something to the effect of invalid system disk, please insert and retry. What next? can anyone help?//

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi John
    Well at least you can boot up now. You can probably boot off a windows boot disk and try to copy your needed files to a floppy disk. The drive may need to be formatted on the gigabyte board before it can be used correctly.

You could try booting up and running FDISK (option 4) to check the drives partition information. You may also want to check to be sure that the drive will still boot up when used on your old system.

Does the full drive size now show up in the bios and finally do you have the bios set up to boot off the hard drive?

7. john_waldrum

ok, I am still getting those system disk errors on occasion but it is not the HD, I beleive it is the bios. I actually got it to boot and it began to ask for the drivers for the motherboard and other hardware, so something is working right. However it froze after that I had to shut down using the power button, when I restarted it went through scandisk and then began to boot and system disk error, enter disk and press any key to continue. Maybe i need to flash with a more up to date bios.

8. john_waldrum

forgot to mention I did run fdik on the drive and it showed up, however it showed unknown system, where it should have said FAT 32, how can I fix that?

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi John

Is the drives size showing up correctly in the bios now? It sounds like your drive may be using some type of overlay software to access the drive now. I suggest that you get the data you want off the hard drive (in safe mode) and re fdisk/format the drive in the gigabyte system. Otherwise I think you will continue to have problems with the drive and its software.

When you ran fdisk, you did use a windows 98 boot disk and tell it to enable large disk support, correct? If not fdisk will only see fat 16 partitions. Fat 32 will show as unknown.

10. IMM

IMM

Do I understand that the 40G is going in as the primary master and that is the drive you are booting from. If so a lot of the info that windows has regarding hardware relates to the old machine. If that is the case there are several routes - but unless you're experienced the simplest will be to overinstall (dirty) the OS. Other possibilities will be to remove and replace devices in SAFE mode's device mangler or to simply regedit and kill the hardware hive as well as remove the 2 .bin files in c:\windows\inf along with the no longer applicable inf files in c:\windows\inf\other

11. john_waldrum

I am booting with the drive, it is set as primary master no ither drive on cable, but sometimes it says invalid system disk replace and hit any key. I know it is not the HD, I beleive the problem lies within the motherboard or bios configuration, in accepting the bigger HD. I was able to boot correctly once and it detected all new hardware and installed the drivers for it, new hardware consisted of the motherboard and that was it, everything else was same hardware ie: sound card, modem, CD-R,

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/80552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice