1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

40 vs 80-pin Connector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nlavon, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nlavon

nlavon Thread Starter

Like many, I have CD-ROM problems, but mine is a little unusual. I have a 58x vanilla CD-ROM chained as a slave to a master Plextor 708-A DVD writer. Both are on the secondary IDE connector of an Asus P5GD1 board. This is the one with the RAID connector possibility on the secondary connector but the default on the Secondary connector is to IDE and I've left it that way. The two hard drives are chained master/slave to the primary and are working fine. Windows XP SP2, P4 3 Ghz, 1 GB RAM.

The CD-ROM shows up in Device Manager but freezes when I've tried to read a CD. The DVD writer works fine and will show anything when there is a disc in there. I've tried the usual workarounds, elminating the Upper and Lower Filters, removing the drives from Device Manager, zilch. In Event Manager, I keep showing Event 51 (paging error) and 11 (controller error) trying to use the CD-ROM. The Event 11 explanation says a "faulty cable" is the problem but I've changed cables twice.

What I'm thinking is that I currently have an 80-pin cable hooked up to the two optical drives and the Asus Secondary Connector which is made for an Ultra ATA 133/100/66 port and the motherboard asks for an Ultra ATA signal cable. Should that cable be a 40-pin connector rather than the 80-pin connector? Would that allow the CD-ROM to be read and will the DVD still work?

Thanks for any help here,

Neal Lavon
    Takoma Park, MD
    USA :eek:

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you got DMA enabled on the CD? Try swapping the value.

3. nlavon

nlavon Thread Starter

I believe the setting is DMA enabled on auto. How does one swap the value? thanks!

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

My a7n8x deluxe gives me an error in the bios with an 80 pin cable connected to the cdroms and the 40 pin connected to the HDD. Don't ask me how I found out.:D

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Er.... I've just realized you can't (I assume you're on 2k or XP).
    Have you tried swapping the CD and DVD over on the cable.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/340902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice