1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

400 or 500$ computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sean425, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sean425

Sean425 Thread Starter

I'd like to build my own computer, but my funds are quite limited.
    Heres the main information; I'd prefer a $400 computer but $500 is fine too,
    I'll be using the computer for all the source game e.g: Counter Strike : Source, and most likely Orange box games too, like Team Fortress 2.
    Oh and World of Warcraft. I know nothing about finding correct computer parts, that will work together, I have enough knowledge to put them together, though. Heres what I need you to do, I need you to find parts from
    a Canadian website that will total to under $500, and the parts mentioned must be able to run the games aforementioned at a reasonable frame rate,
    a stable 60 or 70 is 100% fine!

tldr; I need help building a computer under 500$ that will run CS:S, TF2 and WoW.

If you read this far I thank you, and I hope you will take the time to help me out! :D

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Dont know about any prices over the water, but as a general rule;
    Do you have an old pc you can recycle? Things like cables, floppy drives, keyboards, mice, cases, HDs, dvd drives, can all be reused and save a fair bit of cash . You can always get better later.
    If you have a case, try and use it. A good case could eat your entire budget, although if you do haver enough for it, it makes it a lot easier.
    In terms of performance, dont dont expect too much for that price. It may seem a lot, but 1 of my graphics cards alone cost that much. If you can spend more money, do.
    Finally, make sure you get a GOOD PSU. There is no point going for a cheapie if it blows, it can take a lot with it. A few squids now will save you a ot later :)

3. Sean425

Sean425 Thread Starter

I have a nice case I can re-use, as the parts inside it blew due to overheating, etc. I don't need anything special, my old computer could hardly get 30 fps, using a 5200fx almost anything is a huge upgrade from that, as long as I get 50 fps I'm fine with it, the only game I play is Counter Strike source.

4. BG-0

BG-0

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Besides the case, are there any other parts you can reuse?
    HDD, DVD drive, keyboard/mouse, monitor, need a new copy of Windows?

I'm not really familiar with Canadian websites. Any other good ones besides www.Tigerdirect.ca?

6. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

You could put together a decent system with a 8600GT, dual core, and 4GB RAM from NewEgg for $460 (minus the case and power supply), but that is a US-based company. I built 11 for my job. Cost of the case and power supply? $50.

New Egg does ship to Canada.

Courtney

7. BG-0

BG-0

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice