1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

401 The web site is blocked by administrator

Discussion in 'Networking' started by elaina, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elaina

elaina Thread Starter

I am not a teenager whose parent is trying to save me from kidnappers and rapists. :p I am a 21 year old married woman who is trying to get in touch with her high school classmates on myspace.com but I get "401 The web site is blocked by administrator" instead. :( I have Windows XP Home Edition as well as Windows Professional and neither is letting me go through. I do use a D-Link router however. I tried resetting is as suggested in another post but still nothing. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, since both machines are blocking the site, it has to be a common restriction. I'd suspect that for some reason your IP address is blocked. You can test that idea by going to a different location and trying to connect.

3. elaina

elaina Thread Starter

I am still receiving emails from them saying that I have new messages, new posts, etc. Also aol is blocked and I don't even use them.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you try from a different location? The only thing that springs to mind is a block on your IP address. I'm assuming you did a real "factory reset" on that router, holding the reset switch in for more than 10 seconds with power on, right?

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I have noticed that there are some other people with the same problem with D-Link routers, though I never had a problem with myspace on my dlink router.

From what I know, that message indicates that the administrator of your network has blocked myspace. Since your location is not at a company, I would check with your husband that he didn't block it for any jealous reason. :D

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's easiest enought to check to see if it's the router. Go around it.

If you still can't get through on either computer connected directly to the modem, call your ISP.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I have been doing some research and it seems that the error occurs on the destination side (this case myspace). The common theme is that the error occurs if the administrator is blocking you from entering the site.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice