404 error on pages that are there

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rapidspin

I have win2000 and IE 6 also Netscape 6. I have a few web sites that I maintain. The place that host them had a crash last saturday and they moved the sites to a new server. Ever since then I get 404 on the control panels of the sites I maintain. To get to it I put in the url/menu. I also can't get the email from any of the sites, I get a no socket error from outlook express 6. I get every other website on the net fine except for the above. It is just on my win2000 PC. I have 2 others on the same hub/cable modem and they get the email fine and the control panel fine. They are win98 machines. I have tried rebooting the cable modem, switching cables on the hub around, control/refresh, deleting temporary internet files. I also upgraded from IE 5.5 to 6 to try and fix it. Anyone have any ideas why this one pc won't get the menu's or email. My sites come up fine it is just the control panels.

Give us an example of a url that you cannot see and we can check it out.

Also, check the case of the urls you are typing in....if it is a unix server they are case sensitive.

rapidspin

The url is www.rapidspin.com/menu. It will ask you for a password because it is for the control panel that allows you to make changes to the site, email, etc. Of course I won't give out the user/password but if it asks for it, you are there. I always use lower cased and up until last saturday never had a problem. The control panel is there on my 2 other pc's just not my main win2000 pc that I use the most.

yes, I was asked for a pw....(after I removed the . at the end of the url ;))

here's a question....if they moved to a new server, they might have changed IP addresses too.....you're not referring to the ip anywhere.....(favorites, bookmarks, mail server etc) are you?

rapidspin

No I'm not refering to the ip anywhere. I've emailed the ISP about the trouble but it obviously is something on my pc if everywhere else I can get on. It is like this pc is stuck in the mode that the server is still down like last weekend. I have a feeling if I reloaded win2000 it would be fine and I may have to do that.

You may be right, but try one thing first.

In your tool-->internet options--> make sure you have IE set to check for new versions everytime you visit the page.

Also, when you hit the page, try Ctrl+F5 to force it to go to the server.

After that, a reinstall OR a repair Internet explorer. (Control Panel-->Add/Remove programs-->Remove IE will prompt you with a repair option)

rapidspin

I had tried all that you mentioned before except repairing IE. I did upgrade to 6 though and I now tried to repair it with no change. It also does it in Netscape 6 so I'm at a loss what it is. It just seems odd that those few pages can't be found when everything else comes up fine.

That was my next guess Angel, but then wouldn't it be a permission denied error instead of 404??

I assume you've cleared your cache and your history too?

I'm out of ideas....sorry.

Well, you wouldn't think he'd get a 404 error. If I change my Security setting, I just get Page Cannot be displayed on secure sites. Worth a try though, I suppose.

How about this... can anyone think of a site that requires you to logon like the one he posted? One that we can all know the username/password to? I wonder if it happens on other sites with such security or if it really is just THAT site.

rapidspin

I tried changing my security settings to low with no change. I have some other sites that need a user/password such as weathertap.com and they work fine. I have several other sites that require the user/password to get to the control panel and none of them work. It seems it is a conflict between just my pc and the new server. They all worked fine before the switch to a new server and I never changed anything after the crash. Yes I have cleared the history and temp. internet files many times also control refresh many times.

test: get the ip address (classy?) and try accessing w/that...digging through some major memory dust, but I remember something about accessing an old dns file...a local one perhaps?

rapidspin

No that doesn't work either. It is also a shared IP with a :21 after the IP address. I forgot to mention that I also can't FTP to the sites as well. It seems that email and anything that has to do with maintaining the sites isn't working. Yet I go to a pc in the other room and it works fine.

You didn't by chance install any firewall software on this pc that might be blocking those ports?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online