1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

480 error

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lkm222, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lkm222

lkm222 Thread Starter

Suddenly my newsgroups is returning a "480 error" when I try to enter. Other e-mail seems to function properly. Its only when I scroll down and try to log on my newsgroups that i am getting this. I believe I am using the LATEST OE. THis is driving me batty thanks. Would you send reply to e-mail address providing that is legal. [my first time here]
    Leslie

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hi there... I found this... see if it helps

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q181684

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Post back & let us know

4. lkm222

lkm222 Thread Starter

I tried the two methods and neither worked for me. But I want to say thank you for attempting to help me. I'd like to say i was surprised at how quick someone was there to attempt to help me. I am appreciative

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Yea, Savvy never goes away. :D :D

480 Authentication required for command error trying to post
    This error means that your news server requires you to provide authentication before you can post. You need to check with your service provider to find out exactly what is required. In most cases, you need to supply the server a user name and password

Do you have an ID or password for any of the newsgoups? If so, try re-entering the info., then un-connecting and re-connecting.

And Welcome to TSG. :)

For future reference, here is a list of responses.
    224 overview information follows
    412 no news group selected
    462 error performing search
    463 too many hits
    480 authentication required
    501 command syntax error
    502 no permission

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

DoyceJ...
    well I did for a while.... but Doyce's entry sent me an e-mail & woke me from my nap....LOL...( Im back ....lol)

7. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Hi, Leslie!
    Sounds like one of a few things could have happened.

1: You accidentally posted a reply to a message (or are posting for the first time), and your ISP requires authentication to POST, but not to READ. (this recently happened to my dad.)

Fix: Check your Outbox for messages addressed to a newsgroup, and delete them if they were accidental, or enter your username/password in the
    Tools/Accounts/News/Properties/Server section of OE if you did intend to post a message.

2: You are trying to access the news server of an ISP from a IP address not owned by that ISP (for example, if you have two ISPs or are accessing from someone else's account). Most ISPs that do not require authentication DO require that you be accessing their servers from one of their IP addresses.
    Fix: access the news server from the ISP it belongs to.

These two are less likely, I think:
    3: You initially had the username/password set in your Accounts section and these have been deleted or corrupted.
    Fix: reset them. (Tools/Accounts/News/Properties/Server)

4: Your news service provided by your ISP has begun requiring a username/password where none was required before.
    Fix: enter them in the News Properties under Tools/Accounts/News/Properties/Server

Let us know how you make out
    Lowell

From Forte, Inc. Agent's Help Files:
    480 Authentication required for command error trying to post

This error means that your news server requires you to provide authentication before you can post. You need to check with your service provider to find out exactly what is required. In most cases, you need to supply the server a user name and password. Once you get this information from your provider, you can enter it into {your newsreader}

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice