480 error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lkm222

Suddenly my newsgroups is returning a "480 error" when I try to enter. Other e-mail seems to function properly. Its only when I scroll down and try to log on my newsgroups that i am getting this. I believe I am using the LATEST OE. THis is driving me batty thanks. Would you send reply to e-mail address providing that is legal. [my first time here]
Leslie

hi there... I found this... see if it helps

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q181684

Microsoft Outlook Express was unable to switch to the newsgroup <newsgroup> on the server netnews.msn.com

Server response:
480 logon required
Configuration:
Account: <newsgroup>
Server: <newsgroup>
Port 119
Secure SSL

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if Outlook Express is not configured correctly, possibly as a result of the information contained in the folder for the newsgroup server is missing or incorrect.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:

Method 1
Configure Outlook Express correctly, to so do follow these steps:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Internet Explorer, and then click Outlook Express.

If the MSN Sign-In screen appears, click Cancel.

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.

Click the News tab, click MSN News, and then click Properties.

Click the Servers tab, and then click the "This server requires me to log on" check box to select it.

Click "Log on using Secure Password Authentication."

Click OK, and then click Close.

Method 2
In Windows Explorer, move the MSN newsgroup folder that displays the error message when you attempt to open it to another location, and then resubscribe to that MSN newsgroup server. To do so, follow these steps:

Close Outlook Express.

Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.

Locate the following folder:
<Windows>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\News
where <Windows> is the folder in which Windows 95 is installed.

NOTE: In Windows 95 with user profiles enabled, the Outlook Express News folder is located in the following folder:
<Windows>\Profiles\<Username>\Application Data\Microsoft
\Outlook Express\News
where <Windows> is the folder in which Windows is installed, and <Username> is the name you use to log on to Windows.

In the News folder, move the MSN newsgroup folder that displays the error message when you attempt to open it to another location (such as the desktop).

Close Windows Explorer and then start Outlook Express.

On the Go menu, click News, and when prompted, "You currently are not subscribed to any newsgroups. Would you like to view a list of available newsgroups now," click Yes.

In the list of newsgroups, click a newsgroup that you want to subscribe to, and then click Subscribe.

NOTE: To search for a specific newsgroup, type a word or part of a newsgroup name in the Display Newsgroups Which Contain box. Newsgroups you have already subscribed to are denoted by a newspaper icon to the left of the newsgroup name.

Subscribe to the MSN newsgroup(s) that you want to subscribe to.

After you can successfully access the MSN newsgroup, you can delete the MSN newsgroup folder that you moved to the desktop.

lkm222

I tried the two methods and neither worked for me. But I want to say thank you for attempting to help me. I'd like to say i was surprised at how quick someone was there to attempt to help me. I am appreciative

Yea, Savvy never goes away. :D :D

480 Authentication required for command error trying to post
This error means that your news server requires you to provide authentication before you can post. You need to check with your service provider to find out exactly what is required. In most cases, you need to supply the server a user name and password

Do you have an ID or password for any of the newsgoups? If so, try re-entering the info., then un-connecting and re-connecting.

And Welcome to TSG. :)

For future reference, here is a list of responses.
224 overview information follows
412 no news group selected
462 error performing search
463 too many hits
480 authentication required
501 command syntax error
502 no permission

DoyceJ...
Yea, Savvy never goes away.
well I did for a while.... but Doyce's entry sent me an e-mail & woke me from my nap....LOL...( Im back ....lol)

Hi, Leslie!
Sounds like one of a few things could have happened.

1: You accidentally posted a reply to a message (or are posting for the first time), and your ISP requires authentication to POST, but not to READ. (this recently happened to my dad.)

Fix: Check your Outbox for messages addressed to a newsgroup, and delete them if they were accidental, or enter your username/password in the
Tools/Accounts/News/Properties/Server section of OE if you did intend to post a message.

2: You are trying to access the news server of an ISP from a IP address not owned by that ISP (for example, if you have two ISPs or are accessing from someone else's account). Most ISPs that do not require authentication DO require that you be accessing their servers from one of their IP addresses.
Fix: access the news server from the ISP it belongs to.

These two are less likely, I think:
3: You initially had the username/password set in your Accounts section and these have been deleted or corrupted.
Fix: reset them. (Tools/Accounts/News/Properties/Server)

4: Your news service provided by your ISP has begun requiring a username/password where none was required before.
Fix: enter them in the News Properties under Tools/Accounts/News/Properties/Server

Let us know how you make out
Lowell

From Forte, Inc. Agent's Help Files:
480 Authentication required for command error trying to post

This error means that your news server requires you to provide authentication before you can post. You need to check with your service provider to find out exactly what is required. In most cases, you need to supply the server a user name and password. Once you get this information from your provider, you can enter it into {your newsreader}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online