1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

4Gb (3.25Gb usable) in 64-Bit Win7Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

as you can see from the title, I have just bought 4Gb ram for my machine and it reports 4Gb installled but 3.25Gb usable, after some googling it seemed to be suggested that it may be that 750Mb may be reserved for the graphics card which is an old ATI Radeon X1300 with 128Mb memory, i did try with the GPU out using the i945G chipset as GPU but the usable amount dropped to 3.24Gb.

there were no settings in the BIOS (Foxconn 45GM) to adjust Memory Reservation or Graphics Memory.

there are updates available for my BIOS but Iam afraid to update in case I brick the mobo...

is it simply reserving it for GPU as I have low amounts of GPU ram?

if so, is there anyway to change the amount reserved or disable completely?

I dont use 3D etc, just using the GPU cos its better than the i945G chipset (which makes no difference in available ram when used instead), I would prefer the RAM was available to me for music production than reserving it for graphics.

thanks

2. SpoonLicker

SpoonLicker Banned

What chipset do you have?

Regardless of the processor or operating system being 64-bit, the chipset can limit addressable memory.

Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

Mostly likely this issue is either resolved through adequate BIOS/UEFI/EFI settings.

Are you certain that your microprocessor is 64-bit?

Change any settings that say "Buffered memory" or the like, and make sure nothing unexpected is set to be reserving it, such as graphics hardware.

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

hi

Intel Core2Duo E6700
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    4Gb (2x2Gb) DDR2 667Mhz Memory in dual-channel config

the chipset is Intel i945G/ICH7 on a Foxconn 45GM motherboard

no options in BIOS for buffered memory...its quite limited BIOS, low spec mobo I suppose.

thanks

4. Abriam26

Abriam26

So you have 4GB RAM installed, and 750MB of that is shared memory..
    You can't disable it, but I think you can bring it to a minumum of 32/64 MB (instead of 750)
    This should be somewhere in the bios.

You can get rid of the shared memory by putting a PCI-e/AGP/(PCI) Graphics card in your computer.
    The graphics card has it's own memory, so it won't use the memory of the computer

There are also options like: ''Fixed", etc in the BIOS, try to play with it... (under shared memory ofcourse)

5. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

read my first post.. Iam using a PCI-E ATI Radeon X1300 GPU with 128Mb dedicated memory

there are options for Video memory in BIOS, when I change them I get BSOD as they are for when you use onboard GPU which Iam not - when I use onBoard GPU the memory reserved is the same

6. ajkane

ajkane

Are you using a 64bit OS?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The problem is the Intel 945G chipset, it only supports 4GB of address able memory. But you video card and motherboard resources need to use some of the address space as well so it drops the usable RAM that's available to the system to less than 4GB, in your case 3.24GB.

8. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

it doesnt matter now as Iam upgrading,....
    ...but...
    ...why didn't it do this with 1.5Gb installed? and now with 3Gb installed? - it said 1.5Gb installed and now says 3Gb installed and nothing about X usable? if its reserving it for hardware then you would think i would see it on all ram amounts installed rather than 4Gb only?

personally I think its something too do with the motherboard but its not being reserved for hardware, possibly a limitation of the board itself.

could it possibly be bad memory blocked out by the mobo/OS..? I had problems with one of my 2Gb sticks which i thought was my fault, same day i got the memory one of the sticks stopped/wasnt working and has errors

9. Simba7

Simba7

No. It's a limitation on the chipset. My old Clevo Laptop is the same way, except much worse (4GB, 2.75GB Usable). It uses an i915 chipset.

Some chipsets do that. Some utilize the addressable space between 3.25-4GB, 3.5-4GB, or 3.75-4GB for board functions. Some don't. My TC4400 is like that. It says 3.37GB of RAM usable.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Because 1.5GB and 3GB are below the 4GB max limit so all of it was usable.

11. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

still doesn't make sense though?

if I have 4Gb and its reserving 0.75Gb for hardware...then why not do the same when I have 3Gb or 1.5Gb installed? it wouldn't just reserve for hardware just because i have 4Gb installed... would it?? - you would/should see something like 3Gb installed (2.25Gb usable) - what your suggesting is that it ONLY reserves memory for hardware IF you have 4Gb installed...

as the poster above says it seems to be a chipset limitation, even with 64-bit windows the board/chipset can not use more than 3.25Gb, but can recognize that 4Gb is installed.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you are not understanding. Your board can address a total of 4gig of memory. That is ram, video memory, memory on a raid card, etc, etc. If as an example you have 3gig of ram and a video card with 512meg. You will show all 3gig as usable since the total is below the 4gig max. The problem arises when you have 4gig of ram AND a 512meg video card. Since you can only have a total of 4gig, the system uses the 512meg for the video card and 3.5gig of your ram.

13. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

ahh right - thanks for clarifying that - the GPU had 128Mb but could use system memory dynamically and probably why it was 750Mb

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice