4gb memory turned into 3gb when I installed sp2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xsoldier777

I installed a new windows xp home on a computer and upon entering windows I checked and it was showing 3gb of my 4gb of memory. So I went to the boot.ini file and added the /PAE switch to it. When I rebooted it, windows was showing 4gb of memory. Then I installed sp2 on the system. After it rebooted from the update it went right back to 3gb of memory. It didn't matter if I added the /PAE or no /PAE. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks in advance!!

xsoldier777

Thanks for your response Phil, it does seem to be the issue I am dealing with. I have seen some info indicating if you turn off dep that you can get your 4gb back but it didn't seem to work when I tried it. Maybe I just didn't do exactly what I needed to do in order to disable it properly. I didn't really see any solution from Microsoft to the problem of memory lose in sp2. Any thoughts?

My Computer specs
4400 x2 64bit
a8n-sli
4gb memory

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Well, unfortunately, I don't have a 4GB box to play with.

But, I see nothing in the MS article that indicates the entire 4GBs won't be used. It only seems to indicate that the ram isn't being reported correctly.

Out of curiousity, what does Task Manager report?

Also, out of curiousity, what are you running that takes advantage of that much ram?

I can't find the page I found it on, but I read that using the "/3GB" switch on your boot.ini file will fix problems with more than 3gb of ram on winxp. It seems to be a general problem faced with xp sp2, if you google you will see heaps of similar problems. one site said that there is no direct fix for this. But try the "/3GB" switch maybe? Sorry I can't find the site which mentioned it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online