4GB RAM not reading 4GB

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ktg35envy

Hi i just purchased 4 x 1GB DIMMS of RAM and read on my mobo specs that if i was to install 4x 1GB sticks of RAM that my system may not detect it as 4096 MB due to ICH5 resource allocation. instead it will only detect 3+GB.

is that because my system is in fact using 4 gb of RAM and just isnt advertising it or is it that my system can not utilize all of the 4096 MB of RAM. if so, can somebody explain why this is so? seems like false advertising to me.

and what the heck ICH5 resource allocation means. i read some high end material on google but it made no sense to me.

i have an Asus P4C800 deluxe mobo with 4 DIMM slots (4x 1GB max)

The ICH5 is the Intel southbridge chipset for your motherboard. It handles a lot of duties including your ram and HD controllers.

I do not own your mb but my reading suggests it supports the full 4 gig. I did read some issues tho...how many SATA drives are you running and are any of them raided?

Finally, I could not tell from your post but have you actually installed the 4 gigs of ram and tried it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online