4K Not Working Through Surround Sound Amp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

STTantrums

Ok so I hope this is the right place for this one but I suspect I know the answer anyway.

I've spent all darn day getting my Onkyo 7.1 amp working properly on my PC with different cable connections etc which I've had to do many times. Anyway I sussed it out finally by connecting my monitor via display port and then instead of connecting the TV via HDMI and the amp via HDMI which always causes comflicts I caonnected my graphics card to my AMP via HDMI cable and then HDMI cable from the amp to my 4K TV but now all I am getting is 1080.

I suspect this might mean I need a specific 4k capable surround sound amp but I am hoping I am wrong as there is no way I can afford one of those. The cable I used to use for the GFX card to the TV I bought one that specifically stated it was 4k caompatible (1.4 or something) but the other is just a cheap pound shop type cable so could it be that I need anotehr better quality cable?

I'm going to gte a fire stick so at least that way I can watch everything in 4k so that will solve that issue but for my games I have no other option than to run the GFX card direct to the amp and then on to the TV. It's a pain because before everything worked fine but this time round I just could not get it all to play nicely.

See I can watch my 4k movies from USB stick played from the TV itself but of course I would be stuck with just the TV audio then so I cannot win.

Any way around this my friends?

Thanks in advance.

STTantrums

One thing to add is my TV has two outputs, one is the headphone/aux out and the other is optical so if I was to run eitehr of those into the amp would the amp ducode the movies into surround sound? I think I read that optical only carried 5.1 which I suppose is better than nothing and I guess my worry now is if I get the fire stick that will be plugged in the same way into the amp and then the amp into the TV would it be in surround sound?

Oddba11

Jim
Check the AVR specs. The AVR has to support 4k.

I'm surprised a 4K Smart TV doesn't have all of the apps that you need already without having to buy a firestick.

Usually at least one HDMI port supports ARC. Connect the TV to the AVR using that port, then the TV will pass audio to the AVR via HDMI. Optical would be a last resort, assuming you use an app on the TV for playback.

STTantrums

Did it the otehr way with the PC to the amp then through the arc to the the monito so the TV HDMI goes straight from the PC and finally it works. I'd ordered an optical cable and so I'm using that for when the PC isn't on so it goes from the TV to the amp. I had read optical don't support 7.1 but somehow this one does.

I love these Onkyo amps but they can be stroppy sometimes it seems even when you have them sorted.

Thanks for your reply mate, it was the solution I needed to look into. :)

SOLVED.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online