1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

4th master hard disk error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StackOfDonuts, May 30, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. StackOfDonuts

StackOfDonuts Thread Starter

It happened around 2 days ago, I left my computer on all night and my monitor at times doesn’t like to turn on so I shut down my computer with a button on the front but when it was turning back on the screen had changed and it gave me an error called, “4th master hard disk error” and told me to press DEL to resume. I pressed DEL and it brought me to a BIOS setup utility screen with options and so I went to save and exit the screen it just restarted and bring me back to the same error as before. The image is my specs and I can open it up to be more specific if you like, I do need help urgently though for the steam summer sale and I don’t have money to buy another computer. Gamer time.

Attached Files:

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

How old is this system? It looks like you've got a 3 year warranty.
    In the BIOS (as shown in your 2nd screen shot), what is shown under IDE configuration? Are there any SATA drives listed under any of the other headings?

3. StackOfDonuts

Yeah my mom never bought me a warranty sadly,

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Can you find your HDD in BIOS? Have you been inside it at all? Could you have knocked a cable loose?

5. StackOfDonuts

I did have a small bit of dust but I’m guessing everything’s intact, it’s not detecting the HDD and I dont know why

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Try to unplug the cables on the HDD and plug them back in. Also follow the data cable back to the motherboard and reseat that connector as well.
    Powering off your computer with the power button may, sometimes, corrupt the data on the drive, it should not kill it so that it is no longer visible in the BIOS. Unless, somehow, the SATA port has been disabled. Look through the BIOS settings and see if you find anyplace where you can enable the SATA ports.

7. StackOfDonuts

I took out the cords connected and also took out the HDD to see if it was possibly damaged and I couldn’t see it from my the angle I had earlier, everything seems fine. One cable leads to the front of the computer and the other leads to the motherboard which is connected to SATA 2

Attached Files:

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    The black cable is the data cable. The other is the power and comes directly from the power supply.
    After reconnecting everything, can you still not see the HDD? Have you looked through the BIOS settings to see if there is any place to enable the SATA ports?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice