1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

5.1 computer surround sound speakers use for TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digitalmonster, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digitalmonster

digitalmonster Thread Starter

2 questions:

1) Can I use 5.1 computer surround sound speakers for TVs? I know that a TV doesnt have that green, black, & brown jacks , but I was wondering if there was an adapter that changes it from green/black/brown to red/white on a TV?

2) Also, is it possible to change a headphone jack on a Laptop into a green/black/brown connection? (instead of having a soundcard on the Laptop)

A friend of mine said all this was possible, but I want to make sure he knows what he's saying!

thanks!!!

2. geehawk

geehawk

The problem with the TV is that it has no way of accepting that many channels unless the connections are already there. Each one of those connections represents another part of the surround sound, and if there are only two outputs (left and right or red and white) then the best you can do is stereo. Unfortunately a headphone jack on a laptop is in the same boat as as dual rca outs on a tv...it's a stereo (2 channel) output. Buying a soundcard for the laptop is the only way I can think of that will solve this issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice