1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

5.1 Headset, no surround sound

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kalv, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kalv

kalv Thread Starter

I just got the Razer Chimaera 5.1... the sound works but the surround sound doesn't work. When I play surround sound tests I can't hear where the sound is coming from it is just both sides. I have Windows 7 and I am using the onboard sound card(Realtek HD audio). And yes I got the latest drivers.

2. pip22

pip22

Does your onboard soundcard support 5.1 surround-sound?
    If it doesn't, simply plugging in a 5.1 headset or speaker system isn't going to magically convert it.
    If the on-board soundcard doesn't support it, you'll need to upgrade the soundcard (ie disable the on-board one and fit a new one into a spare PCI slot - then fire up Windows and install your new card's drivers).

If the on-board soundcard does support 5.1, there should be several speaker-out jacks on it marked 'front' 'rear' & 'centre'
    Mine isn't, it only has one speaker-out stereo jack so it supports 2.1 only.

3. kalv

kalv Thread Starter

I did a little research and it looks like realtek HD audio supports 5.1 although Im not sure. Is realtek only a software driver for windows 7? OR is realtek the actual onboard sound card?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Realtek is the onboard audio chipset. There are numerous models/chips in use...and not all support multi-channel audio.

Hardware Requirements

Xbox 360®

• Available Optical Port
    PC

• RCA to 3.5mm Cable*
    • Available 3.5mm Headphone Jack
    • Available 3.5mm Microphone Jack
    * RCA to 3.5mm cable required and sold separately

And unless I'm misreading the setup/connectivity ( http://help.razersupport.com/us-en/...00002174&pos=Xbox+360&top=Setup&rid=400003729 )...there is only a single 3.5mm cable output for PC use. In which case, it's stereo only. Three cables are needed from surround audio (front left/right, rear left/right, center/sub).

5. kalv

kalv Thread Starter

Yes the box came with only one 3.5mm cable. Are you saying a 5.1 headset needs 3 cables? Why would razer advertise as 5.1 if it doesn't support it. Can I use some kind of splitter so it works with PC?

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It is a 5.1 headset, when connected to an Xbox 360. It is an Xbox 360 headset that also works on a PC.

No, there isn't a splitter that I'm aware of. And if there was, they would mention/offer or include it for PC users.

7. kalv

kalv Thread Starter

I emailed the support and they said 5.1 works with PC as well.

8. pip22

pip22

"I emailed the support and they said 5.1 works with PC as well."

Fine, but that still doesn't tell you if your PC's soundcard supports 5.1

9. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Maybe with the optical connector. Not with a single 3.5mm cable. A single 3.5mm cable only supports two channels (5.1 = 6 channels).

If they have responded, they should be able to tell you how to connect it.

And as pip22 pointed out, you will need an audio card/chipset that supports 5.1 audio.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!