1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

5.1 output

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtbethel, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtbethel

jtbethel Thread Starter

Hi
    I'm trying to get 5.1 sound with dvd.
    I have a Dolby Digital TV (Toshiba) that has 2 Digital Audio Inputs, an optical socket and a phono type connector.
    I have a S.B. Live 5.1 card.
    I have conected the Digital output of my DVD drive to the SPDIF connector on my S.B. card.
    I have fitted a Mono 3.5 jack to the digital output of the card to the Phono input of the TV.
    I am getting stereo but nothing on the rear speakers.
    Does anyone know if the Digital output of the SB is a mono or a stereo 3.5 jack.
    Thanks

2. deuce

deuce

There's your problem right there. You can't carry a digital audio signal over a mono (or stereo for that matter) RCA cable. You need to use either the optical output and get an optical cable or get a digital coax (which ever you can use on your tv). The digital coax is about 8x as think as a RCA cable to give you an idea of it. With RCA... you lose a lot of signal and that is why you don't get the rear speakers. (plus it just isn't made for carrying a digital signal) Mono is even worse than stereo. What kind of digital input do you have on your tv? (and why are you connecting the dobly digital to the tv?... is your home theater connected through your tv?)

3. jtbethel

jtbethel Thread Starter

My TV has a Dolby Digital decoder built in.
    It has an optical input and a phono input for the digital audio.
    The SB 5.1 card has only a 3.5 jack output so I cant use optical
    I did think that my cable or connector was incorrect.
    So I think you are correct that I need a coax cable.
    What do I ask for and any ideas as to where would supply.

4. jtbethel

jtbethel Thread Starter

Oh!
    The TV has outputs for front and rear speakers and built in front voice and sub woofer

5. deuce

deuce

Did you not install the Live! Drive? It comes with the Live! 5.1 and the Audigy Platinum 5.1. It has a digital coax (SPDIF) and an optical in/out on it. (plus there is the other digital coax on the card in the back) Well I take it then you don't have the drive. The SPDIF (which is the digital coax) will work just as fine. You can get it at any audio store... Best Buy, Audio King, Circuit City and hell even Radio Shack among others. What you need is a digital coax (coaxal) cable that is one-way and it is going to be anywhere between $15 and $50. It is about as think as the tip of your index finger.

6. deuce

deuce

Oh... didn't notice you are in Wales. The British version might not come with the Live! Drive.

7. jtbethel

jtbethel Thread Starter

No I dont have the Live Drive it was a cheap OEM card only.
    But I'll try to get a digital coax cable.
    I think you are probably correct.
    Thanks again

8. deuce

deuce

No problem... that's what we're here for. :)

9. Mulderator

Mulderator

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice