1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

5.1 surround sound speakers into one wire?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by NewLifer89, Oct 29, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. NewLifer89

NewLifer89 Thread Starter

Hey all. So I have a 5.1 surround sound system in my office. The audio in comes from my desktop PC. Its a 3.5mm male to a double RCA. I am trying to clean up the speaker wires a bit and not wanting to run 5 speaker wires to the back to the receiver. I don't use the system as a true surround sound. It only runs in a 2.1. So I was wondering if I could run all the speaker wires to one larger gauged speaker wire and run just that one wire to the receiver. I installed this system before the knowledge of running the wires in parallel or series and I am not wanting to change it all up. I know speakers dont use much power so I am hoping this will work... I drew up a tacky diagram.. hopefully this helps..

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You'll need to run a minimum of 2 speaker wires (+/- pairs) to the speakers. If you only run one single cable, you lose stereo and would have to pick which channel to send back; either the left or right. If you go with the 2 speaker cable route for L/R stereo, you have to wire the speakers in series for both the L and R side. Wiring in parallel will drop the impedance load the receiver sees which would be extremely taxing on the amplifier section of the receiver. Dropping the impedance load causes the amplifier to supply more current which many mass market receivers/amplifiers are not able to do. At best, the receiver/amplifier goes into protection mode. At worst, the receiver/amplifier fails due to the strain of driving that speaker load. Since you're going this route, you can ditch the 5th speaker which is presumably the center channel.

Drabdr likes this.
  3. NewLifer89

I already have the speakers ran and wired. Each speaker has a 2 strand speaker wire going to the back of the receiver. What I wanted to do was cut back the 5 different speaker wires to a point where they all come together and splice in just one piece of speaker wire. All the positives from each speaker to the positive on the bigger gauged wire and all the neg together to the larger gauged wire. I just want to make sure the receiver can handle that.

4. zx10guy

And that's what I'm saying. You can't combine all 5 channels into one and expect the same separation in sound going to each speaker. Since you're only sending a stereo signal to the receiver, you're only putting out stereo to the speakers. With the receiver and not sure how you're running it, you could possibly have discrete audio being sent to each speaker with synthesized surround such as Dolby Pro Logic. You're not dealing with a digital signal where you can mix all the audio together and break it out down stream. Nor are you dealing with an analog multiplexing setup which you can have discrete analog signals being sent on the same cable.

Plus from what I can understand what you want to do, your description is going to only send one channel of sound to all the speakers and they'll be wired in parallel which as I said above is a big no no.

Drabdr likes this.
  5. NewLifer89

Ok. So I am assuming its best to just leave it the way it was. I dont run it at surround sound anyway. I run it as 2.1 sound. All 5 speakers play at the same time at the same volume. But I guess I will just keep it like I had it.

6. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Good morning!

So you have five speakers. These speakers are wired into some type of receiver. The receiver gets a signal from the computer. currently you have five sets of wires going from the receiver to the speakers. Correct?

Now, you state it only runs in 2.1. How is that? Is the receiver you are using only 2.1 stereo?
    Is the drawing you provided (nicely done, by the way) how it's wired up now?

What is the impedance rating on the speakers and the receiver? ZX10guy is exactly correct. You need to take caution in how it's wired up; or you could damage some equipment.

7. zx10guy

His reference to 2.1 is the audio coming from his computer is just basic stereo. The receiver (at least all current model receivers) has different surround modes. Some of these surround modes attempt to create a surround effect from a basic stereo audio input. An example of a surround mode which does this is Dolby Prologic which I referenced above.

Drabdr likes this.
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice