1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

5-10 mins to boot? Locked up when I do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by briar23, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. briar23

briar23 Thread Starter

I am having a few issues. One of them is that it takes 5-10 minutes for my pc to boot up. If it will at all. It locks up on a "check disk screen". Or if it does load, it shows my desktop, icons, and arrow of the mouse. I can open and close the start menu. But all of my bottom icons are in the taskbar are gone. And I can click items in the start menu all I like, but nothing will open at all.

After I installed zone alarm, I lost the icons at the bottom of my taskbar and the ability to open anything. But the problems taking forever to load and locking up easily started before then. I want to take it off (to revert my settings to before I installed it), but I can't do anything if the pc loads at all.

Can someone help me? I don't have my boot disk and I'm having to use someone else's pc just to get on here, which was recommended to me. I'm not sure what to do to get my pc back up so I can even start to fix it. I wanted to try to go to safe mode, but I'm not sure how to do that and the check disk thing keeps popping up and if I let it run, it locks up my pc. Any ideas please?

I'm sorry if these specs are not helpful... I can't get my pc to start up to look them up and I don't know them off hand, I'll try to fill in from memory.

PC Specs:
    Gateway Laptop
    Windows XP
    um... I think maybe a 1ghz processor...

I wish I could tell you more... Sorry

2. bingo24

bingo24

Do you receive any error messages or blue screens? Have you tried Safe Mode?

3. briar23

briar23 Thread Starter

Nope, no messages or errors or pc complaints of any kind. It just sits.

I finally got safe mode to come up. It took forever to get there. But its now starting in safe mode. But wierdly enough... another account popped up on the log in menu besides mine... administrator. That wasn't there before. Just my account name like normal. But that might make sense... my pc always tells me "you don't have administrator access" when I try to change start settings.

I clicked the administrator which didn't even have a password on it or anything. And told it to uninstall zonealarm and uniblue. Now they're off... 2 questions...

1.) Are they off the pc for all accounts or just for administrator?
    2.) Should I restart the pc or do some other maintenance while its actually working?

4. bingo24

bingo24

Safe Mode will show things a little differently than Normal Mode. Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration by pressing F8 or F5 not sure at the moment?

5. briar23

briar23 Thread Starter

ah here are the specs

microsoft windows xp
    home edition
    version 2002
    gateway
    mx6440
    amd turion 64 mobile
    technology ml-32
    1.79 ghz, 960 mb of ram

6. briar23

briar23 Thread Starter

no, I hadn't. I didn't know those. I press that while the pc is booting up? or while its logged on?

7. bingo24

bingo24

Press while pc is booting up. I'm stepping away for awhile will be back a little later. If you think of anything else reply back.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice