1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved "5 billionth search" scam opened when I clicked on a link

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by GreggIllinois, Feb 7, 2020.

1. GreggIllinois

GreggIllinois Thread Starter

I was on my Windows 10 computer. I had downloaded two vector files from a reputable digital photo site. I scanned the files in VirusTotal and they were clean. But one of the files was an .eps vector. I wasn't familiar with .eps files, and when I tried to open it in Inkscape it wouldn't. So I Googled around (see attachment) and clicked on that Goinkscape link (pointed to by the 2nd arrow). The split second I did, the computer made an audible beep/screech and a "You've Made the 5 billionth search" screen (attachment) goinskcape.png 5billionth.png opened in a new tab. I of course knew it was a scam. I hovered over the mouse over that Goinkscape link, and it was super long extending across the page, and it started with something about Google. (When I went to that same Google page again on a different computer, the link was very short and just about Goinkscape.) I was able to X out of the Google screen and then the 5 billionth screen, as well.

I Googled around. For most people it happened as a pop-up when clicking on an ad.

As far as for remedies, some people said 'don't worry about it unless it happens repetitively.' Others suggested going through the installed programs looking for suspicious programs I didn't install. Some (like this Bleeping Computer link https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/vi...-the-5-billionth-search-ad#close_browser_proc ) suggested really involved removal guides involving Rkill and Hitman Pro and Secunia, none of which I have.

I do, however, have Malwarebytes Adwcleaner and Malwarebytes Free. And can get the other programs if necessary.

I'm on another computer now, and I'm just going to shut that computer down for now and see what you guys suggest. Kind of like, is this a nuisance sort of thing that happens a lot, or something to take very seriously and drastic measures to remedy?

One specific question. Two different sites said 'don't open the browser so it opens to the last page in the previous session.' I was in Firefox. My Firefox never opens to the last page of the previous session, so I don't have to worry about that next time I open Firefox, right?

Thanks very much.

2. DR.M

DR.M Malware Trainee

Hi, GreggIllinois.

I am DR M and I will be assisting you with your computer's issues. I am still in training and my fixes have to be approved by my instructor, so there may be a slight delay in my replies. Look at it as a good thing though, since you will have two people looking at your problem.

Adhere to the guidelines below, and then carefully follow, with the same order, all the instructions after:

1. You have to reply to my posts within three days. If you need some additional time, just let me know. If I don't get any reply from you within these three days, the topic will be closed. You can send me a PM if you still want help, after this period of time.

2. Always ask before act! Do not continue if you are not sure, or if something unexpected happens!

3. Do not run any tools unless instructed to do so. Also, do not uninstall or install any software during the proceedure, unless I ask you to do so.

4. Please, copy all the content of the required logs and paste it inside your post. Do not attach any log or other file, unless directed otherwise.

5. Logs from malware diagnostic or removal programs can take some time to get analyzed. Also, have in mind that all the experts here are volunteers and may not be available to assist when you post. Please, be patient, while I analyze your logs. I will be with you, as far as I can.

Let's start!

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, and that will be the right version.
    • Right-click FRST.exe/FRST64.exe then click Run as administrator.
    • When the tool opens, click Yes to the disclaimer.
    • Press the Scan button.
    • When finished, it will produce logs, called FRST.txt and Addition.txt, in the same directory the tool was run from.
    • Copy and paste the logs in your next reply.
    ---------------------------------------------------

In your next reply, please include:
    • FRST.txt
    • Addition.txt

3. DR.M

DR.M Malware Trainee

At the request of the user (GreggIllinois), this topic has been marked Resolved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice