1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

5 minute reboot - BIOS issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C Ray, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. C Ray

C Ray Thread Starter

I have a several month old Dell Dimension 4600 running WinXP Home, with dual monitors, which runs great, I'm happy. If I have to reboot for some reason, everything shuts down fine, but system shows the F2/ F12 screen briefly, then goes to black screen with the underline cursor
    for 5 minutes! After 5 minutes, the HD kicks in, XP loads normally and everything runs fine. Scanning through the various BIOS setup items, Fast Boot is on, system is set to boot from C: first, then CD; and there dont seem to be any "weird" or obviously wrong settings of any kind. Any suggestions?
    I have also run msconfig and gone though turning off start up programs, etc. but once loading XP begins, everything runs fine, just takes 5 minutes to start...

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Not sure but try turning off USB legacy emulation in the computers bios. That is known to cause problems with certain types of mice and USB devices in a few dimension systems. Does the computer take this long to boot up initially or only on a reboot?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Besides the USB, having network adapters that don't have a connection can sometimes extend the boot time. If you have unused network adapters, try disabling them.

I'd also remove ALL external devices and try rebooting, that might narrow it down to a specific device.

4. C Ray

C Ray Thread Starter

Thx 4 your reply, no diff btwn initial boot and reboot, same 5 mins.
    Rgds,
    CR

5. C Ray

C Ray Thread Starter

thx 4 your suggestions, I'll try them b4 trying the BIOS update that
    Dell has posted, which I'd like to avoid doing.
    btw, Dell email support suggested re-installing the O/S!
    which seems a bit drastic.

6. C Ray

C Ray Thread Starter

Changing the USB legacy emulation to "No Boot" from "On" has "fixed" the problem,
    but what have I actually done?
    Rgds,
    CR

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

If you had anything connected to the USB port the Dell will try to boot from it with USB legacy emulation enabled. Even if the device is not bootable. There is another problem with a conflict between the Ps2 mouse port and the USB port which disabling the legacy emulation fixes. If you are not booting off a USB device you don't need legacy emulation enabled.
    I'm glad you got the computer running better. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/230033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice