1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

5 out of 6 USB ports not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eadid, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eadid

Eadid Thread Starter

So I shutdown my computer and when I turned it back on again 5 out of 6 usb ports aren't working, i have a usb mouse and keyboard so I need to get at least 1 more port working. when I check in device manager it shows them all working but i have an "!" on something called PCI Simple Communications Controller, will fixing this fix my usb ports and if so where can i download the drivers for this, i dont have the original CDs or anything. If this wont fix the problem can anyone help me or point me in the right direction, I have tried almost everything I can think of.

a few things to note is that i get power to my mouse in only 1 of the usb ports but none of the others, Im running windows xp and have never had this problem before

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Do you have PS2 ports on your machine? If so, borrow a keyboard and mouse with PS2connectors and make sure they work before you try this fix. If you don't have PS2 ports, Google "boot to Windows without logon screen", then set your machine up to boot to Windows without the logon screen. Test the machines booting a couple of time to make sure it boots to Windows without logon.

Next after you are sure the machine is either working with a PS2 mouse and keyboard, or is booting to Windows without a logon screen. do this.

USB drivers are in Windows. Unplug all USB devices. Go in to Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers, you should get a drop down menu of all USB controllers and hubs. Right click on each item individally and click on uninstall until all the controllers and hubs are uninstalled. Reboot the machine, and Windows should re-install all the USB drivers.

After Windows reinstalls all the USB drivers if USB devices still do not work, then you very likely have a motherboard problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!