1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

5 Port Hub Only Connecting 3 Computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dutchpirate, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dutchpirate

dutchpirate Thread Starter

I'm trying to connect a 4th internet connection on my 5 port hub (Linksys NH1005 V2), but the hub seems to only want to send the internet through 3 ports at any given time. If I turn on the 4th computer it just gives me the 'no connection' message. If I take out the 4th port then the signal goes to all 3 computers at once without fail every time, it's just when I try for four computers, one always gets denied from getting a connection, it's not always the same computer, just random. I thought it might have been one port that was bad but that's not the case as a signal will go through all ports, just not 4 at a time.

My suspicion is that there's something wrong with the hub. I've had this for literally close to a decade, and I'm thinking something in it has gone bad.

Broadband cable ->Modem->Hub->Networked Computers......all wired connection.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do?

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

On one of the computers that is on the internet run the command ipconfig and reply with what the IP address is. You can open a command window by entering cmd.exe in the run box and then hitting OK. You should see something like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>ipconfig
    Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net.
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Then do the same for a computer that can not get on the internet and post what it shows in a reply.

I have seen situations where ISP provided equipment only allows so many IPs to be assigned or otherwise limits how mant connected computers that can access the internet.

Most likely it is not a bad hub unless the problem is always that a computer connected to a specific port on the hub can not access the internet.

3. srhoades

srhoades

It's an old school hub, if you use the uplink port, then you can't use the port next to it. Get an auto uplink switch (not a hub). You should be able to find a 5 port for around $20

4. dutchpirate

From the computer with internet connection:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cgocable.net.
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.121.161.250
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 216.121.160.1

From the computer without internet connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.233.27
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

The first and fourth lines were blank with the one with no connection, that one also had an "autoconfiguration IP Address" as opposed to the other one which just said "IP Address"

5. srhoades

srhoades

Since you are not just connecting 5 computers, but are using one of the ports as an uplink from the modem, you will never get more than 3 ports to work, period. If you truly just have a broadband modem and not a modem/router combo then you need to get a router for all this to work properly. If it is a broadband/modem combo then you need to get a switch, not a hub, that supports auto-uplink.

6. dutchpirate

7. oldrookie

oldrookie

Apparently your ISP has given you 3 "public" IPs to use for internet access - your ipconfig shows a "public" IP vs a "private" IP such as 192.168.1.x.

The 169.254.x.x IP on the computer that can not acces the internet is a "self assigned APIPA" IP that is seen when a computer/host can not obtain an IP from a DHCP server for whatever reason.

I would suggest that you invest in an internet router/firewall that can use just one of your ISP public IPs on it's WAN side and then use NAT to distribute numerous "private" IPs to computers/host on your LAN.

Any of the internet routers from Linksys/Dlink/Netgear etc that you see at Best Buy etc should work for you.

8. dutchpirate

Thanks for the responses, is there anything I could add between the cable modem and the hub that would work? The reason I ask, is that I briefly read the reviews on some different routers, and see no shortage of people complaining about dropped connections, slower download speeds etc.

9. srhoades

srhoades

Most people are idiots and complain about everything. Get a router, it will solve your problem.

10. oldrookie

oldrookie

Not from what I can tell as I believe you simply do not have enough IPs and a router will fix that. Usually the router itself works well and most complaints are about wireless issues. Be sure to position the router where it will not overheat such as stacked on top of another heat producing device or under somehting else blocking air flow.

11. dutchpirate

OK thanks for the replies

12. dutchpirate

just 2 more questions:

1) Would a switch work in place of the hub or would it still be the same situation?

2) Do you think my ISP could send a 4th public IP so I could keep my current setup?

13. srhoades

srhoades

1. No

2. They will charge you and you are at a huge security risk running public IP's with no firewall.

3. Routers are as cheap as $20 on sale. Just pull the trigger.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice