1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

$50,000 XP Mistake

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ryan21, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ryan21

Ryan21 Thread Starter

Ok, this one is a doozie. I am new on this forum, so bear with me.

My boss has a laptop with Windows ME preloaded. He bought Windows XP Pro and tried to dual boot the system. One problem. He didn't place XP on a different partition, and now ME has disappeared from the boot-up file. He did leave all of the files in the windows directory and created a WinXP dir for all of XP's files. The problem is that he has very important insurance files on ME that need to be completed, the program to access these files can only be opened in ME. How can I get into ME, and run it? Reinstalling ME isn't an option since we would have to reinstall the program for the insurance files and that can't be done. I need to boot to ME. All of the files are still there to run ME, but the option to boot to ME is gone. Tried to edit the boot.ini and place ME in there, didn't work. Please help. The insurance Job he is working on is worth more than $50,000.

2. brianF

brianF

3. Ryan21

Ryan21 Thread Starter

Unfortunatley, thi is not an upgrade from ME, but a clean install to the same partition in a different Dir.

I have a theory. Tell me if this sounds logical. I want to format the mbr using format /mbr and then install the root files from the windows me boot disk using sys c:. Does that sound like a peachy idea, or more disaster waiting to happen.
    Thanks for the response.

4. tomlunt

tomlunt

Ryan21 -

I don't know if this will help, but do you have another computer with WinME and your program on it?

Is there a way to get the work files (not the program files) from one computer to another (floppy, CD, network)?

Most programs store data (work files) separate from the program files so you might be able to move the actual data to another computer and get things working.

Just a thought ...

Tom

5. Ryan21

Ryan21 Thread Starter

We first tried moving the backed up files from the Laptop to a 2000 machine, when that restored the files he had saved in back up, but not the files he had been workiong on we became hopefull. We then preoceded to move every piece of the program until the entire directory had been moved. Alas, no go. THe program must save data intermitidly to a temp dir that it only knows. Thanks for the advice. By the way, with out a propper parrallel connection and having to do all transfering of files via zip disk we discoveried this didn't work at about 3am in the morning. I hate wasted work.

6. tomlunt

tomlunt

Ryan21 -

Sorry that didn't work. I hope somebody smarter than me comes along (shouldn't be too hard) because I'm stumped.

Tom

7. Snoggins

Snoggins

Probably, if you just "sys c:" with an ME bootdisk, you'll get your ME back. Boot from the floppy, then sys the drive.

Certainly not gonna guarantee that $50,000, or any part of it, but that's worked many times for me to get a system back.

8. Dodge

Dodge

If I read this correctly, then it should still have ME on there and you just cant boot up...

Do you have a Bootup disk made for that PC... It will be a ME bootup disk... If so then all you should have to do is Put the disk in and Reboot. At the Prompt, type fdisk /mbr That will rebuild the Master Boot Record and allow Windows ME to load again....

9. Ryan21

Ryan21 Thread Starter

Yeah, this is pretty much the same conclusion I came too. I was going to try it this morning but unfortunatly he had allready contacted the company that made the software and they had dicected the program by the time I had arrived. I will still try the procedure and post the results.
    THanks for all of the speedy responses.

10. wildexpressions

wildexpressions

just something out of the blue that was not mentioned and might not even be relevent,but win 2000 and xp are NT versions of windows while ME isnt,maybe that is why when you transfered your files to the 2000 machine is why it did not work.

Tony

11. kramnnim

kramnnim

He didnt convert the HDD to NTFS, did he? Hopefully not...

12. dogbonz

dogbonz

Hi Ryan,

As Spock would say....interesting.

The critical point was installation of
    the XP... You can install it in NT or
    FAT formats. If he chose NTFS - aarrggh

You might call a disc recovery joint.

It's probably recoverable on the operating
    table. (fingers crossed)

13. Ryan21

Ryan21 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Don't worry, I didn't use NTFS. I know better than that with a fat 32 OS allready on there. The sys C: option worked fine, but we lost the files anyway and the whole report must be redone. Don't know if he'll get the job now.
    Anyway, I appreciate everyones help...keep rockin'.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice