1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

50 ft internet connection cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foxtrotsam2, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foxtrotsam2

foxtrotsam2 Thread Starter

my friend has an old pentium 133
    cpu 133mhz
    win98 SE

I tuned it up for him, did a complete format and fdisk, clean install win98 SE, ran pretty decent, hooked her up to direct cable connection and she took off like an old sweetheart lookin for a new lover. :)

Problem: took her upstairs to his bedroom and ran a 50 ft cable to my router downstairs and she wouldn't budge, no matter what i tried, reversed the whole process, took her back down, hooked her up, zip, she's gone again.
    Maybe she ain't strong enough for the long cable?? I don't know.

Any ideas. Thanx guys, you're always alot of help.

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Did you test the cable

3. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Howdy,

In Network Neighborhood, make sure that under "Identification" all the computers share the same "workgroup" name.

SM

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Check the cable. It is really the only thing you changed, assuming everything else worked properly. (booted up and ran ok)

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Also, a 50 foot CAT5 Ethernet cable should be no issue, I have over 100 feet going to my basement for my TiVo and downstairs machine. CAT5 will run 100 meters under the standard, and usually quite a bit more.

6. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

I think spaceman is on to something. Downstairs it was a direct connection. Foxtrot, have you connected the computer to the router downstairs?

MBN

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice