1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

50 pics have vanished from my memory card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ironsides, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ironsides

ironsides Thread Starter

Does anyone have an idea as to why about 50 pics would vanish off of my memory card?
    I took the pics this morning, and they saved on the card without an issue. I reviewed them while the card was still in the camera as always and they were there. When I put the 2Gb SD into the computer, they are not there. This is the first time in about 8 years of using digital photographs that something like this has happened. Thanks...

2. Danyo

Danyo

Did you try connecting the camera with the SD card in the camera to the computer.

3. ironsides

ironsides Thread Starter

No. I followed my usual routine of extracting the card and plugging it directly into the F drive. I have other pics still on the card that show up but the 50 odd I took yesterday are nowhere to be found. Puzzling.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You might want to double check to make sure that your card reader can support a 2 GB card. Some older ones may only support up to 1 GB cards and may not correctly identify or read the contents of a larger capacity card.

5. ironsides

ironsides Thread Starter

There haven't been issues in the past with the 2GB, or any other size cards for that matter. It's like the pics have vanished into thin air.

6. Danyo

Danyo

They haven't vanished into thin air if you can see them on your camera. Did you try and connect your camera to the computer and see if the pictures show up.

7. ironsides

ironsides Thread Starter

I can't see them on the camera anymore, either. I took a new picture to see if it would save to the disk, and it did. I'm missing pictures # 352- 402. The new picture I took shows up as 403. Any thoughts? Thanks...

8. ironsides

ironsides Thread Starter

Does anyone know of a memory card recovery type program/ solution?

9. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  10. Shoya

Shoya

I’m far from a computer expert; however, I am a pro photog so perhaps I can help a bit: what brand card? Most major card manufacturers provide recovery help – either by a recovery program packaged with the card or by a download from their website. If you can view the images on the camera’s LCD then they still exist; if not, they are most likely gone. (sorry) As suggested previously, try hooking your camera (via the USB cord) directly to your computer and use the upload program (either the one supplied by your camera manufacturer or your photo editing software) to upload the images. If none of these ideas works, you might consider taking the card to a good camera shop and asking for their help. BTW: forget asking for help from a drug store/Walmart, etc, type store since they rarely have any knowledge of how to recover images from a (possibly) corrupted card. Good luck!

11. ironsides

ironsides Thread Starter

thanks for the last two tips. It's looking like these are gone forever but I'll let you know if I find/ recover them somehow.

12. mrss

mrss Guest

Per this thread.. I was a big fan of PC Inspector Recovery, but it failed to find any files on my SD card. Then I tried ZAR, and what do you know, it found most of my missing files. I lost a few because I had given up on recovery and started to re-use the card, so it wrote over some of the lost files.

How did they get erased? For me, probably a glitch. I shut off a transfer program on my laptop and maybe it started a write when I cancelled the program.

13. ironsides

ironsides Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. They are gone, however.

14. Shoya

Shoya

Sorry you lost your images! That can be a real nasty experience.

You may already know all of this, but just in case: you did not say what type camera you use; SLR or P&S; however, one thing you might want to try next time is using the on-camera controls to protect your images until you upload them to the computer/storage device. Most SLR's and many P&S cameras have an option on the menu that permits you to protect all or selected images as you shoot. The camera will then ask before overwriting a preexisting image. It is just one more safety measure to protect valuable images from accidental delation. Also, if you think your card failed, keep in mind there is a reason the better brand cards can cost just a couple of dollars more: they are (generally) more reliable. Try Lexar and/or SanDisk.

15. ironsides

ironsides Thread Starter

That's good info to know. I've been using digital cameras for years but never delved into the nuts and bolts. Just for snapshots and such. Obviuously it will be worth my while to lock them in to prevent this from happening again. Thanks for the advice.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/722637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice