1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

50 years from now....my precious data......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolaid, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolaid

coolaid Thread Starter

i would like to have my very precious data factory pressed into a dvd/cd, as all my maxell burnt ones, which contains my utmost important data has become unreadable; those weren't any data, they were my old cassette collection i backed up to the dvd medium that is maxell, i burnt them at 8x and all was well for 2 years until recently i discover to my horror they were no longer readable on my or friend's pc, and i had already discarded my cassette thinking i wouldn't need them anymore; this has been most depressing for me as i was only able to salvage some of my data from a few maxell dvds that were miriciously still readable, but most was lost, and now with what little that remained i vow to protect them at all cost.

but how do i do that? backing them up onto dvds again? reliable brands like vibatim crossed my mind, but i have seen threads here where ppl complained about their data loss of said vibatim dvds, and with my new pc, which bundled roxio insted of nero and lack the capability to burn at slower speed, i can just imagine the maxell thing all happening again.

of couse one can certainly say, what about a usb external storage device?

i certainly remember buying a second generation 20gb external hd, not only did my data in it all disappeared after plugging into someone else's pc, but the hardrive itself soon malfunction and was useless after just 5 years of use.

so here i have, my utmost precious irreplaceable data on my pc, frantically searching for a way to preserve these data so that 50 years from now, i can take them out and just have a good look at it, of course by then i might not have any means to read them as it'll surely become obsolete like the amiga and pc-engine, but knowing the data are STILL HERE in exsistance will give me much comfort; dear, they mean that much to me.

i live in Vancouver,canada, and i would be happy if someone can point me to a place in canada or the usa where i can have my data factory pressed into a dvd/cd, doesn't matter if it'll cost me, i just need these data factory pressed onto a disc; i don't trust disc burning, i don't trust usb drives, and unless i can get my hands on one of those govt tape storage device i'm afraid the only way to preserve my precious data is for it to be pressed onto a disc, so, if any of you know of such a place in canada or in the usa that can factory press data no strings attach and no question asked, then please do reply, money is not an issue, i'm willing to pay, so thank you for your time and help very very much.

EDITED:

www.ProActionMedia.com

they have duplication and replication, i check wiki and i really can't tell the difference between them, they don't sound like factory pressing though.

2. Flags

Flags

Coolaid: I hate to rain on your parade, but what makes you so sure that 50 years from now, there will even be a DVD player that will play your DVD's?

Remember vinyl records, Beta tapes, VHS, soon, all obsolete.

I know this doesn't help, but I thought it should be said. I hope you find a solution.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you have really important data, you need to keep several copies on several times of media in multiple locations. I have several months of CD/DVD backups, an external hard drive with a current backup, and I use an online backup service to store my most critical data.

There isn't a way to completely future-proof backups. The most often overlooked aspect of data backup is verification. It doesn't just affect individuals. Even companies sometimes discover, too late, that their backups never completed correctly or the media was damaged.

A "pressed" disk isn't the answer. Even those disks get damaged or become unreadable.

Backing up to one type of media and expecting it to last forever untouched just isn't a realistic option.

4. mrss

mrss Guest

Did you have stick-on labels on those DVD's? If you did, soak them off and see what happens. For some reason, labels can unbalance DVD's.

Lebels can even screw up CD's. I bought a firewire card last week. Real cheap and really old. It came with software on a burnt CD with sticky label. One CD reader said it was blank. Amother could only read the top level directory.

The label must have shrunk because the disk was bowed like a coolie hat. I soaked off the label. It flattened out a litt;e bit, and I was able to copy off all but one file.

5. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

6. SB305

SB305

If your data still consist of content transferred from audio cassette, the most practical solution is to transfer them back to audio cassette - even though this will mean getting a new recorder. Hi-Fi cassette decks seem to have disappeared - and I wish I'd never got rid of mine - but you can still buy players of sorts. Flags mentioned the obsolescence of vinyl records. New decks are available, probably because of the sound quality of vinyl.

7. sup2a

sup2a

i keep all my important files in 3 places
    1) on my computer...
    2) on DVD/CD in a safe room in cases
    3) on Portable HDs around the place
    note: they are kept as far away from harm as possible the only thing threating them are dust...

8. hewee

hewee

Also keep sun light away from them so put them in a case and the case into someplace else to help keep any light getting to them.

9. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

That goes for heat too, as it may warp your media.

10. brandonbr

brandonbr

One active external hard drive a one backup hard drive should do the trick.

11. sup2a

sup2a

i would agree but many years of data stored on one piece of technology... personally i use as many backups as possible, what were to happen if it malfunctioned or just decided to die? i like the disc idea mainly because its more of a physical item you can store and protect (which can also be a problem with dust and scratches then, as someone said about the evolution of technology DVDs may not be around for much longer...easy just transfer to whatever comes next!

12. techdawg667

techdawg667

I would rely on magnetic tape. Even though that sound obsolete and big-university-nerdy-ish, it is actually the most redundant storage method out there. Even though it will be a bit on the expensive side, 50 years from now your records will become treasures (of a past civilization) so then costs won't matter much.

13. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

Notebook, and a Sharpie. Failsafe!

14. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You're probably not going to Need or Want 90% of that stuff in 50 years.. :)

I have all my software which were once on floppys saved on one of my HDDs. Have I touched any of it in the past 5 years?? Nope.

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't know that I'd agree with that. With more types of data moving to electronic formats (letters, papers, articles, and especially important personal photos), this is a problem that's going to pop up again and again.

The problem with data archiving doesn't stop at the media used to store it. It also involves maintaining compatibility with applications. Eventually, documents created with programs like Word Star 15+ years ago, for example, may not open in Microsoft Office 2050. Depending on the data, it may need to be regularly converted to a new format in order to be readable in the future.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice