1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

500-800$ budget for Computer Building

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by semp207, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. semp207

semp207 Thread Starter

Ok so here's my deal...
    I have about 800$ budget to build a gaming computer for my brother. Being on a tight budget I was wondering if anyone had any experience in using this type of budget and what spec's you would recommend.
    Additionally he doesn't need a key board, monitor or mouse. I'm curious if I should be leaning towards putting focus on CPU/Processor, with the shortage of cash or distributing it more evenly.
    Thanks for any advice

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi mate!

As you already suggested it is more important to distribute your money equally to each part. I will give you some general clues as I do not know the exact prices of each part right now. I'll try searching a little more tommorow though.
    -CPU: I would go for a fair Intel CPU as they are more advanced in architechture terms right now. The Core 2 Duo 6600 is priced at about 200Euros (currency is not my expertise but it's almost the same amount in US $.). Smaller Core 2 Duos are also very good and be great for gaming (But try to get the 6300 or above) AMD's alternatives like the Athlon64 X2 5000 or 5200 are also very good performers and will be priced a little lower if I remember correctly. You could go for a cheap 4600 wich is also a very good CPU if you want to save the money.

-RAM. Now that Vista are getting standard go for 2 GB of DDR2 RAM for games. Get 2 sticks of 1GB so you can utilise the Dual DDR function of today's motherboards. If you do not intend to overclock some good and stable sticks (like Kingston's) at 533 or 667Mhz are about 30Euros for 1GB.

-Power Supply Unit. Get a good, branded one (like Heroichi, Tagan etc) around 550Watts or more with amperage values above 18 amps in 12volt rail at about 120Euros. The only problem with this part is that the next generation of graphics cards will need a 6pin molex adapter from the PSU that today's PSUs I know of do not have. I'll try searching around for this and post back.

-Graphics Card. The most important part of a gaming PC. Any NVIDIA card of the 8600 series will be enough for most games and provides DX10 compatibility. They are priced around 150-200Euros. As an alternative you could get a Radeon 2600XT but it performs a little worse (Performance may be fixed with newer driver releases from ATI/AMD though).
    Any of these cards will be enough for now but you may need to replace it later if you are not satisfied with future games performance. Buy it and wait for the next generation of cards so you can save money now or go for a GeForce 8800. The smaller versions can be found at around 280-350 Euros and will of course last longer than the 8600s.

All the above will part great with each other and the overall system performance will be high enough for today's games and for future games too for a year or two.

3. DuO

DuO

i had the same budget and wanted just the rig, no monitor or perifrials. look at my specs, i chose amd because they are simply better bang for the buck. def. go daul-core as well. i also like nvidia chipsets (nforce 4 and up is fine rlly). my 7300 gt vga with 256mb ram runs most games like hl2 maxed out at 30ish fps and with most high settings and 2x aa at 60. i only have 1 gig of ram but i would reccomend 2 gigs if ur looking at vista mabey. i got an sli board and im getting the second card soon so that will rlly boost preformance. i encourage u t take the route of getting an sli board and getting the second card later when u have more $$. good luck and i'll b bak

4. Shortyman801

Shortyman801

5. semp207

semp207 Thread Starter

thanks to everyone that has replied, your really helping out!
    Maybe I'll start putting it together on paper tonight..

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!