1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

500 Gig Hard Drive is Full but is not

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redbaron1975, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redbaron1975

redbaron1975 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Systemax I5 K65 3.2 GHz Desk Top with a 500 Gig hard drive, 16 Gig of DDR3 Ram running Windows 7 64 bit. It had NEVER had for than 15% of the hard drive used. Now I keep getting hard drive is full messages. I run disk clean up and I show 484 Gig used 12 Gig available. I downloaded WinDirStat and try to run it but it gets to 19% and stops responding. Whe is starts it shows 485 Gig used, then drops to 79 used, the pac men stop moving. Microsoft Security Essentials shows nothing nor does Web Root Spy Sweeper. I had to switch my TV card buffer to my external 2TB drive just to watch TV. THe computer seems slower as well, but I figure that is cuz the hard drive is full.

What could be causing this? I can't find and directores of data files that total more than 28 Gig.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. redbaron1975

Ok, I ran TreeSize Free and it reports 416 Gig used. 340 used by users. It shows Microsoft MSN is using 302 Gig. of that Mail is 298 gig. When I try to expand it further TreeSize stops responding. Can a Virus cause this? I run Security Essentials and it finds nothing, but I get a lot of errors and not responding programs lately. How can MSN Mail take up that much space when I dump it every day?

Thanx for your help,

Dan

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  5. redbaron1975

I checked into MSN storage and transferred all stored mesages back to MSN and removed them from my hard drive. Even so, they only totalled 884 MB so that could not be the problem. I have tried running the program several times, even after rebooting my computer, it will not let me expand the tree after MSN Mail. The program stops responding and locks up. It seems the closer I get to finding the root of the problem, the computer shuts things down. HELP!

Dan

6. redbaron1975

I printed the screen of TreeSize when it locks up. I hope someone can help me with this problem.

Thanx,

Dan

7. redbaron1975

Try this again, it did not upload cuz the file was to big.

Attached Files:

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    All I can think of is make copies of any important Emails, address book etc and then uninstall MSN Mail and see if it deletes that huge folder.

Not sure if that will even work, up to you whether to try it or not.

9. redbaron1975

I can't figure this out. I removed MSN in Programs & Features, deleted it, the computer wanted to reboot so I let it. Turn it back on and Windows says the program is gone, however, it still runs. Ran TreeSize and it is identical to before.

I am ready to format the drive and reinstall Windows. That is a giant pain in the -ss cuz ALL my software has to be reinstalled. A lot of things would not function after original install so get this patch, etc. You know what is involved.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try deleting the large folders/files manually, starting at the bottom one shown in the TreeSize list and working up.

11. redbaron1975

Hi, I was able after multiple times able to delete that file. Each time it would remove about 10 - 12 gig and become non responsive. Each time I started deleting it it gave a message you must delete this manually as it is to large for the recycle bin. It is finally gone, but I would like to know what caused it and what was stored in it. I now have 282 gig free on the drive at this time. I think I will still reformat the drive for a clean start cuz there are multiple files that are duplicated some how. There are 3 "My Documents" folders in different places Each containing almost Identical files. How can "My Documents" be listed outside C or D drive? It is like the computer has a root directory that is not on C: nor D:.

Oh well Thanx for your help in getting rid of that giant file.

Dan

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    A clean install, where you format the drive at the start, is probably the best idea.

Be nice to know what caused the problem but let's just hope it never happens again.

(If you are happy with the outcome please mark this thread as 'Solved' with the button at the top of this page).

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice