500 Gig Maxtor Hard Drive shows up as 150 gig

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

babbleon

Hello,

I have a Maxtor 500 gig Hard drive. I got it a while back as a gift and never had a chance to use it until I got an external case for it. However, when I first started the HDD up, my computer only registered a 150 gig hard drive. I thought that was odd, so I tried to reformat it, but I kept on getting only 150. I tried atleast 3 different external cases and they all gave me the same result.

Does anyone know how to fix this or have anything that I can try to see what's wrong with my Hard drive?

Thanks.

My guess is your motherboard or software can't recognize a HDD that large. What are you running?

If you aren't running at least Service pack 1 (SP1) or above on XP, then it might not recongnize it fully.

Maybe the jumper setting is wrong. It might be restricted from showing what it really is. What is your jumper setting?

babbleon

Also, does the external case have to be a specific design in order for the hard drives to work at maximum capacity?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
And whats the model of the enclosure you put it in?

babbleon

The Model Number is 6H500R0.

There are 3 jumper settings that the HD shows, DS( Master), CS Enabled, and Cap Limit.
The enclosure model i am using is a NexStar 3 3.5 hard drive enclosure usb 2.0 interface.

Sorry for the late reply.

babbleon

I'm sure it does. I have an alienware sentia m3450 laptop. I'll check later on tonight.

....how do I check?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online