1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

500 Internal Service Error: Rewrite

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by dakota5369, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dakota5369

dakota5369 Thread Starter

so i downloaded a plugin for my wordpress. long story short i got a 500 Internal Service Error out of it. One of the solutions said to go through file manager and delete the plugin, which i did. still no luck. then it mentioned looking in the error log, which shows i have about 9000 errors all back to back. But i cant understand what to do with this info because all the solutions speak like you are a pro programmer. i have never even looked in the error log until now. i dont know what these errors mean or anything like that. can anyone PLEASE walk me through a fix in a clear, understandable for newbies manner? the errors are all similar to this

[Sun Jul 29 20:39:55 2012] [alert] [client 93.197.87.65] /home/proboxin/public_html/.htaccess: RewriteRule: cannot compile regular expression '^([^/]+?)-sitemap([0-9]+)?\\.xml$'\n

edit: i though tmaybe i better elaborate. i added the seo yoast plugin for my site but got a 404 error. i googled the solution and got another code to try in the plugin itself. when i added that, i got the 500 error for the entire site and even in the dashboard. i uninstalled the plugin through file manager, but still nothing

2. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

It sounds like you've got a problem with the configuration file .htaccess
    That tells the server how to talk to clients, so if it is messed up things do go rather badly wrong.

I'd suggest that you temporarily rename .htaccess to something else and see whether that solves the problem initially.
    If so, you'll want to download the file and identify the single line that is making mischief. I'm sure that we can help with that if you tell us what the .htaccess file actually contains.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063104